Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Kenmore dryer will not run. I press the switch and it

Customer Question

My Kenmore dryer will not run. I press the switch and it starts. However, it will run only if I continue to press the switch.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So there are a few things that can cause this condition. To determine what the issue is, just do a simple test really quick. Start the dryer and hold the start switch for 1 minute. Open the door and feel inside the drum---is the dryer actually heating or not?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The drum rotates and the dryer heats.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK then you either have a bad main control board, or the motor relay has failed inside the control panel. Remove the control panel and there are 2 black plastic boxes that look identical to one another. One is actually the heater relay and the other is the motor relay. The one with the 2 thick pink/red wires going to it is the heater relay. Either way, swap these 2 relays with one another and then plug the dryer in and see if the dryer will run. If so, then the dryer won't heat but it'll confirm that the relay has failed and you'll need to order and replace the motor relay.

Now on the other hand, if the dryer does not run when you swap the relays with each other---the 3" x 5" control board inside the control panel would need to be replaced.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Where do I find the control panel?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

The control panel is the part on the top of the dryer where you turn all the knobs to select the cycle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will go look.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

ok good luck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have removed all the screws in the black plate behind the control knobs. I cannot remove the black plate. However, I can lift the whole top of the dryer. Is there something else holding the black plate? Am I in the correct area?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

No, that is the wrong way to get into the control panel unfortunately. There are 2 plastic end caps on the front of your control panel. They are the far right and left plastic caps. You need to pry at the top of them and they will unclip and pull off. That will expose a screw at the bottom that you unscrew and then the control panel will hinge up and backwards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I believe I have found the end caps. I have tried prying them up from the top. I am not comfortable prying them from the top. Both the plastic end caps and the top metal panel seem very flimsy. I am concerned that more than a little pressure will damage them.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure what to say. You may need to call a technician out because that is just how they come off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will call a tech. I need to end this conversation.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK. well good luck. At least at this point you know what the options are that can cause your problem. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.