How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Appliance Guru Your Own Question
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 15136
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Appliance Guru is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have an old SubZero 590. It is leaking. The leak is

Customer Question

Customer: We have an old SubZero 590. It is leaking. The leak is constant from the top center of the frig compartment. Ice maker broken, So, i turned off ice maker. How do you turn off water to frig too. We dont use it. Is that where the leak is coming from.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Consensation or water drip in same area, top center of freezer but not as much. We don't use the water or ice maker. Frig/Freezer is from 1991 but can't replace it yet. Too expensive $$.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes. But, I will only pay if the problem is solved. Never have used JustAnswer. Thought it was free advice.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a significant delay in responses. Please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

The water is coming from a blocked defrost drain for the refrigerator evaporator. You need to remove the crisper drawers and frame to access the drain trough behind them on the back wall and clean it out and clean out the drain tube. Make sure the drain tube is not torn as well. That is what is causing the issue.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just got back home. I removed the crisper trays. How do I clean the drain trough and drain tube? It's attached and doesn't appear to "snap" off. I also see where the water is dripping/condensing in the area into the trough. But, it's not overflowing onto the "floor" area underneath the crisper tray area of the frig. Are you sure if there is a constant drip at the top of the center/front of the frig and same in the freezer, the drain tube is clogged all the way down behind the crisper trays?
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Can you take the drain tube off the trough and see if the drain is clear.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. The trough is screwed into the back of frig. I can stick my finger in the top of the drain tube and I can feel water. The water isn't sitting in the trough or leaking onto the frig shelf bottom, so, I guess the tube could be clogged further down, but, its draining somewhere. What is the top plastic piece of frig, I would describe it as a "frame" that's seamed together ... that is where the dripping is coming from ... what is behind that top piece of the frame? Is it the water line that runs into the ice maker and water dispenser. The ice maker is turned off [it's broken and we don't use the water]. Could this water line be leaking from the top piece because it can't get to the water dispenser or ice maker [which is off]? I don't have a diagram of the mechanics of the frig.
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Yes it could be leaking from that top piece hard to say without seeing it on know:( You would just have to take it all apart to really see, nothing was very easy to work on on the 590 models.