Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

My whirlpool dryer keeps blowing thermal fuses. Why?

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

If the fuse keeps blowing, first you need to pull the oven out, unplug the dryer and remove all the screws going into the back sheet metal panel. Unplug the heating element in the far back left corner and test with a multimeter continuity between each of the two terminals on the heating element to the case of the element. if you have ANY resistance or continuity, you need to replace the heating element because it's grounding out.

Other than that, you either have a bad operating thermostat which is mounted just above the exhaust vent on the back of your dryer, or you have a vent that needs to be cleaned through your house. Try to run a cycle without the vent connected and if the fuse blows, replace the thermostat. If it doesn't blow, you need to have the vent through your house cleaned.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

I am a different tech, I see this is a dryer not an oven as the first tech indicated. The unit is blowing a thermal fuse because the unit is overheating not due to a grounded heater. Now depending on which thermal fuse is tripping that will make a difference. Check the vent to the outside for any obstructions. If the unit is overheating due to a vent obstruction that will happen. Also check the temps at the vent at the rear of the unit you should see around 150 degrees, if you are in the 180+ range the operating thermistor may be bad.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry I used the word "oven", but I also said the word dryer 4 words later. Simple mistake but the answer is still the same and other than that nothing the second tech stated was any different than what I had told you to check or replace.