John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I HAVE A MAYTAG TOP LOAD MVWC200BWO TOP LOAD WASHER IT WILL

Customer Question

HI I HAVE A MAYTAG TOP LOAD MVWC200BWO TOP LOAD WASHER IT WILL NOT SPIN OR AGITATE, HAVE CHECKED THE DOOR SWITCH MOTOR TRIES TO MOVE BUT IS UNABLE. DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dave and I am happy to help you. Your washer has a belt and sometimes the nut that holds the large pulley comes loose. Tip up the washer and see if it is loose. There is a plastic cover that you may need to remove. If the nut is tight see if the connections to the motor annd capacitor are tight. See if you can move the pulley by hand and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have done both of those things. The motor and belt and large pulley spins freely by hand but will not under power. Motor tries to move for a second but fails.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it maybe the motor or start capacitor is there anyway to confirm

If you have a meter you can test them. The motor seldom is the problem. More often it is a break in the red wire that is in a coil you see on the bottom of the tub. It is in series with the capacitor and can break where it is held with the tie wraps. Pull on the wires at the tie wraps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I am not able to do so right now but I will check it out later and let you know if that is the problem.

Okay, let me know what you find.