Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

GE ZGU385 gas stovetop I spilled water on the stovetop and a

Customer Question
fair amount (1/4 cup?) went...
GE ZGU385 gas stovetop I spilled water on the stovetop and a fair amount (1/4 cup?) went down under the control knobs. Right away the sparker started acting funny and eventually the electrical components stopped working (no sparking and no indicator lights).
I jumped the gun and replaced the spark ignitor. That didn't help, I don't think that's the problem because that has nothing to do with the indicator lights. So, now I have two questions: 1) Does it sound like replacing the Spark Ignition Switch and Harness
would solve my problem? Could that be where the problem happened? I'm guessing it might because this is where the water generally went. This part: http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Spark-Ignition-Switch-And-Harness/WB18T10410/1473712?ss=c35-x7a6775333835&mr=1?RCAID=1000057
2) If this might help ... how do I get the old harness detached near the knob hubs? They appear to be pretty well affixed. Thanks Bob
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
11/22/2015
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 1 year ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a significant delay in responses. Please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

The issue is actually is the transformer these burn out nearly instantly when that happens, very common replace this part \

WB27T10856

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, I replaced the transformer today, and didn't have a very good result. Once everything was hooked up and I plugged the unit back in ... I could hear "crackling" in the left-most knob connection. I believe I could smell it as well. The transformer got very hot very fast. The light which is meant to come on when the knob is turned did light up for a bit, but quickly went dead again.My guess is that there is now a short in the wiring assembly that runs through the knobs (but that is totally a guess). I also worry that I've burned out a brand new transformer.So, my options are to purchase a new wiring harness and try again or call someone for service.Is there a way to test whether the new transformer has burned out? Perhaps the old one was never burned out?

You can see if you have power out of it with a volt meter, but yes it sounds like the harness is bad for sure.

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician