Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

I have a Maytag front loading washer model number

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Maytag front loading washer model number MFW9700SQ1. When I start a load of laundry, after the first 2 or 3 minutes, the washer stops and the error codes H and F appear. I will turn the machine off, then back on and it will either stop immediately again, or will run for a couple minutes and stop. After this happens several times in the first 10 minutes, the washer finishes the run without any problem. I use HE detergent, we have replaced the washer hoses, and checked the inlet valve, etc and it's getting very frustrating!! What is the problem, and how do we fix it?
Thanks,
Tia Black
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dave. The FH code is related to slow water flow or a problem with the pressure switch. Are you on a well and getting slower fill due to sediment in the screens? If the screens in the water valve where the hoses attach are clear it could be a problem with either the pressure switch or the air dome in the pressure system that has been redesigned. Let me know about your water.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We live in Minneapolis and have city water. The screens look clean.

Ok, then this could be the air dome for the pressure switch or the switch itself. You could start by pulling of the top and the pressure switch is on the right side near the back. There is a small hose attached. Pull it off and blow down through it. Soap sludge or lint can build up at the bottom and that could clear it out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. We are just sitting down to eat so we'll try that in a bit and let you know what happens.

Work safely.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do! Thanks...I really hope this helps because I hate having to babysit the washer!

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Blowing out the hose of the pressure switch might have done the trick. My husband said it was hard to blow at first, and then it felt like it unclogged. We're running a load through right now, and it hasn't stopped and coded yet. Will let you know if it makes it through the whole cycle. Thanks, Tia
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Two successful loads of laundry completed with out any stops or codes. Thanks for your expert help Dave. Tia

Great! Don't you love saving money? Most service trips are $100+!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dave, Well, success was short-lived....put a load of towels in the washer this morning and it was back to it's old problem of stopping shortly after it started. This time it stopped just once and after restarting, the cycle has continued without any problem. What should we try next?
Tia

Sorry to hear it is back. The part that the hose attaches to at the bottom may need to be cleaned or replaced. They have redesigned that part to prevent clogs. Let me kno if you need numbers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dave, My husband took the washing machine apart and there was some sludge in the piece at the end of the tubing but there wasn't much. He cleaned it out and guess what....it didn't help. Bummer! What is our next step??
Tia

Well if the air system is clear, and it sounds like you did a good job with that, you could look for any damage to the hose and if it is okay all that is left is the pressure switch. It would be very unlikely to be the control. Do you need the pressure switch part number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my husband would like the pressure switch part number. Thanks so much for all your help.

The pressure switch is(###) ###-####/p>

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dave, this is Jim, Tia's husband. I installed a new pressure switch this morning, no help. Pulled the little hose off and pressure tested that, re-installed it, no help. While washing the clothes it always codes and stops at 36 minutes left on a 40 minute cycle. I noticed that you can't even see any water in the drum, it' just wet clothes. I took all the clothes out, and ran a cycle. There was about a gallon of water showing in the drum and the cycle ran it's 40 minutes without any problems. Any ideas? I'm thinking it's the solenoid controlled inlet valves. Their constantly cycling during those first 4 minutes.

Hello Jim. The first part of the cycle is when it should fill the longest. When it drains does all the water go out quickly?

Also there is a flow meter with a hose on either side between the water valve and the dispenser. If it is stuck or has failed the control will never get signal that water is flowing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does drain quickly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pulled the flow meter off yesterday and blew through it. It spins just fine.

About all hat is left are connection problems in the wire harness between the flow meter and the main control or the main control itself. The problem with this and many other failure codes is that it is not possible to be completely sure of the problem. The FH code is more often slow filling, an air blockage or a damaged hose or at the worst a bad pressure switch. Look at every inch of the pressure hose to see if there is a hole rubbed through or a kink. If all this is okay we are getting to the point where I would suspect the main control and it is very expensive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dave, it's Tia again. Jim has checked everything over completely and there is no problems that he can see so I guess our last hope is the control board. Doesn't it just figure? Would you happen to have the part number for that?
And by the way, thanks so much for all your help with this really annoying washing machine problem!

The control is W10137702. This is very expensive and always a last resort. It is not a sure thing that it will solve the problem but other than a poor connection there is not much left.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dave, Jim here, once again. I took all the clothes out of the washer, and it runs the cycle without any problems. I put the clothes back in, and at the 36 min mark the codes pop up and everything comes to a stop. I pushed the off button, and then the start button immediately. It would work for about 1 minute, and then stop again. I did that reset two more times, and at the 31 min mark it finished the cycle without no more stops. Help.

Here is how to get into manual diagnostics from the techsheet. The display will start at C:00 and lock the door. It will stay at each step for a period of time. C:04, C:07 and C:08 are tests of the main control.

DIAGNOSTIC TEST The washer must be empty and the control must be in the OFF state before pressing the touchpad sequence to start the test. Starting the Test Mode

• Close the door.

• Push CONTROL/ON (if present on this model).

• Select the DRAIN/SPIN cycle.

• Select NO SPIN by pressing the SPIN SPEED touchpad.
• Push PREWASH OPTION four times within five seconds. (If PREWASH OPTION is not present on this model, press RINSE HOLD four times within five seconds.) C:00 will light up on the display.
If the Starting procedure fails, push the PAUSE/CANCEL touchpad, then repeat the starting procedure

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dave, I ran the manual diagnostics test. At the end of test 8 the machine turned off and the door unlocked. Is that what was supposed to happen if everything tested good? There were no codes (faults). Jim

If there is a problem it would normally stop. If the problem is intermittent I guess that didn't prove anything. It may still be the main control but we can't prove it.