Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Have a arb2107as. Freezer won't freeze ..fridge warm. I

Customer Question

Have a arb2107as . Freezer won't freeze ..fridge warm. I unplugged for a day... plugged in .. compressor turns on ...feed line to inside cooler frosts up within 2 minutes
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a significant delay in responses. Please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

Ok so just a small section of the evaporator frosts up correct and the rest is bare aluminum? If so your unit has a freon leak and is out of freon. This can be an expensive repair and typically not worth repairing unless you can do the job yourself.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This fridge was working beautiful ..then bam. ..it gets a leak?.. I can watch the feed line frost over..the evaporator never gets cold

Yes it just happens fast as there is only 5 ounces of freon in the systems...you have a leak for sure...sorry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just find this hard to believe. ..the compressor turns on and works as normal. Wouldn't it be making noise or humming?

No if the compressor is running the whole evaporator should be frosty, if only the first rung is from the cap tub on then it is out of gas, it is really not that hard to believe this happens all the time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok then can I put freon back in? How do I find the leak?

You would have to install an access valve and DYE....you can use ACR kit 974 to seal and dye the system

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am just still curious. ..how can the line freeze it it's out of freon?

It has a small amount left that is why only that little but is frosting. It is about 90 percent out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
While looking for the freaon kit i stumbled on this ...Liquid refrigerant (freon) entering the evaporator begins to boil into a gas because of the sudden drop in pressure created by the compressor. This change of state absorbs heat. The temperature inside the evaporator coil may be -20 degrees F. This will condense and freeze moisture in the air in contact with the coil (which is why we have to defrost). If there is freon boiling inside the evaporator this frosting will occur within minutes. So if we run the unit with the cover off the evaporator and no frost forms we can know that there really is no freon or the the system is clogged. If the unit runs for several minutes with the door closed and the freon charge is correct, the frosting should form all along the length of the evaporator.Other signs of the presence of freon is heat in the condenser. If the unit has been running for several minutes and the condenser is cold, there is either little or no freon or the system is clogged or the compressor is not pumping.

Yes it is out of freon, I am not sure what exactly you are looking for?