Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair
89799402

Visitor: i am having trouble with my fridge. It's a 2009

Customer Question

Visitor: i am having trouble with my fridge. It's a 2009 model rb217. can you help?
Visitor: the unit quit working
Visitor: i unplugged it and plugged it back in and it runs for 1 hour then turns off
Visitor: i noticed the fan was not running but the compressor was and it cools while running
Visitor: so i supplied a fan to keep it cool while running
Visitor: i checked the amps to the fan motor and got a reading of 22.8
Visitor: i even bought the mother board on line and replaced it and it is still doing the same thing
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Joel thank you for your interest in our service. If you have been waiting a while

I apologize we try to help as many customers as possible in a timely manner. I am now

available to help you with your question.

I am going to assume you are referring to the condenser fan motor since you are using a regular fan in place of it to keep the compressor cool. If you replaced the main board then you can pretty much count out voltage supply to the fan dropping out if when the fan stops the compressor is still running along with the evap fans this means the system is supplying voltage to the fans. These condenser motors are dc voltage they have winding in them that attach to an armature (this is on the inside of the fan housing of course), one of the windings could be bad inside so that when it heats up after running a while its separating contact from the commutator and so it quits running , to make a long story short, replace the motor and your fridge should be fine.

Refrigerator Condenser Fan

Part #: DA31-00146B

****NOtice****

****You would be suprised at the people that get help and do not bother*******

PLEASE take into consideration we are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is that

you take this time to rate my service using the STAR RATING SYSTEM at the top of your page

or wherever the 5 star rating system is located on your page (sometimes it's hard to find

but it's there). Rating me will not in any way cost you anymore than you have already paid.

We techs only get a SMALL PORTION of whatever you have chosen to pay after a good star

rating is chosen. This is the only way I am credited through the site for my time. This will

also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions. TIPS are not

expected but are GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks.

Hi this is Joel,

I was just wondering if you had any other questions for me, if not could you please go ahead and help me out by giving me a rating, its real easy you simply click on the far right star where it says Rating on your screen. Thanks Again!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey. I put the new fan in and it started working. That was yesterday. This morning, im afraid it has started acting up again. The fridge was not running as before. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and the temps had dropped from -2 to 9 and 34 to 40 something.

I am at a loss at this point maybe another tech can be of more help.