Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

SAMSUNG MICROWAVE MODEL SMH 8165 ST QUIT WORKING. -SE- COMES

Customer Question

SAMSUNG MICROWAVE MODEL SMH 8165 ST QUIT WORKING. -SE- COMES UP ON THE WINDOW. WHAT DO I DO TO FIX OR REPLACE PART?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So lets start by explaining your error code. Error code "-SE-" is actually the most common error code that this microwave gets. It means that your touch control panel has shorted out and will need to be ordered and replaced to fix the issue. If you are handy, this is definitely something you can replace yourself. The touchpad is nothing more than a sticker with a ribbon cable connected to the control board behind the control panel. First, start by unplugging the microwave. There should be 2 or 3 screws coming in from the top of the vent over the door. Remove these screws and pull the vent panel off. That will expose a screw over top of the control panel. Remove this screws and the control panel will pull off so that you can replace the touchpad.

Now thankfully for your model, the touchpad can be peeled off the plastic control panel to replace just the touch buttons. The touchpad is sold separately, so use a knife and pry under the touchpad sticker edge to remove the touchpad. Then unplug the ribbon cable from the control board behind the control panel. Now just install the new sticker touchpad and you should be good to go again. The only good new here is that the touchpad is relatively inexpensive. Below is a link to the part.

CLICK HERE for touchpad

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.