Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a new w10410999 motor old Maytag DE309 electric

Customer Question
I have a new w10410999...
I have a new w10410999 motor for my old Maytag DE309 electric dryer. Having an issue with the wiring... On the instructions it says connect a grey wire to the 1/4 protecting tab, but I don't have a grey wire. I have a white wire but when I connected it per the instructions the dryer would not start. I'm not sure where the white wire goes.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
11/17/2015
Appliance Technician: Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 2 years ago
Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

I`m suspecting what you see as white is a faded grey.

What was the reason that you were replacing the motor? was it because it did not run.

And you have gone back over the instructions to make sure they were all done correctly?

Hi Woody, I suspected the white wire was a faded grey so I connected it to the 1/4 protector tab per the instructions. I did remove the blue jumper lead between terminal 4 and the 1/4 protector tab. The new motor is grounded like the one so I didn't forget that.The red wire is connected to terminal 5, blue to 1, black to 2 and yellow to 6 per the instructions.When I plug the dryer in and press the start knob it buzzes and makes a sound like it wants to start, but doesn't. Then it kicks the breaker after a few presses.It did this in the beginning when I figured it was the motor because it was almost impossible to turn the tumblr by hand. I installed a new motor, new door switch and new belt. The tumblr is now turnable. But it still doesn't start up.Any ideas?

Ok what is the voltage coming into the dryer (where the cord attaches on the terminal block ) red to Black should be 240 volts Black to

White 120 volts Red to white 120 volts .

Then test the voltages once again while pressing the start button and tell me if any of the voltages change while the dryer is trying to start.

Ok, I don't have anything to test it with right now... but it is 220. Let's say everything was correct. What would the next step be?I haven't changed or messed with any of the internal wiring besides wiring up the new motor.

Ok you never answered one of my questions that I asked earlier. ((What was the reason that you were replacing the motor?))

And with out a meter how do you know the voltage is 220?

The tumblr was really hard to turn so I figured the motor was bad. This dryer might be 30 years old so it I assumed it needed a new one. Also, the plug to the wall is a huge 220 plug, like a welding machine would have.So honestly I don't know if it was the motor that was bad. The only other thing I can think of is it maybe it's one of the thermastats?

Ok first we need to really determine if the unit is even getting the correct voltage to the unit.

A Volt-Ohm meter is inexpensive .you can get them almost any hardware store of less then $10.00 .

and then we can also test other component with it also.

A meter cost less the even a thermostat does.

If you have a Harbor freight near by they have them for less then $10.00 I buy these for my students if you drop it it was not that big of a loss.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-90899.html

Ok, so I got a multimeter. This might be a dumb question, but I'm checking these from the motor correct? So when you said check Red to White, I will be touching the test leads to the Red and White that are connected to the motor and hopefully seeing 120v on the meter, right?

I posted this yesterday (

John, Home Appliance Technician