Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I cleaned the drain line. It was good days but now looks

Customer Question

I cleaned the drain line. It was good for 4 days but now looks like water is starting to accumulate again under the crispers. Could it be the heater thermostat?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So this is a design flaw from Samsung. They created an aftermarket part to fix this issue which is basically a "heat probe". The heat probe is just a clip that attaches to the defrost heater and then extends down into the drain hole so that it puts heat into the drain hole so that it won't freeze over anymore. The part number you'll need to order and install is da61-06796a. you will of course need to thaw out the drain again and blow the drain line out with compressed air or a turkey baster and hot water or something like that.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm beyond that point now. I already got that part and replaced it. It seems that the copper line that is supposed to heat up, apparently isn't. when I opened the back the clip was covered in ice., along with the track the water runs down to the drain tube. I cleaned the drain tube with a stiff wire. No trash or obstructions. The bladder at the bottom had some gunk, which I cleaned out, but it seems to be starting over again. There is also a drain line on the left rear bottom, but that was dry. Not sure what that is for
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! There is probably something at the bottom of the drain tube that is impeding the water. Can you use some 1/4" plastic water tubing to run down the drain to really flush it good and see if anything gets stuck in the line when you pull it back out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I fished out the drain line and ran water through it. There was some gunk in the bladder near the bottom of the line which I cleaned out.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

If it is still freezing, it has to be plugged if the heater is not keeping it thawed. Is the metal strip extending down into the drain? Do you have it clipped securely over the heater? Is the part you installed the one below?

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the metal strip extends down the drain and is securely clipped over the heater. It is the 3" metal clip. The old clip didn't even go down the hole, yet I didn't have the problem for almost 2 years. I've cleaned the drain tube. There are no obstructions. There is a different drain tube on the left lower rear of the refrigerator. Not sure what that one is for, but it is dry when I take the tube of it that contains the bladder. Could the heater or sensor be bad?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

The defrost heater could be bad but it would frost the whole coil. Can you post a picture of what you see, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right now it seems to have subsided. I found a little water near the left side of the crisper in the track but the bottom of fridge was dry. Should the coils have any ice on them at all?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Maybe while cooling but it should thaw off during defrosting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Let me monitor it for a while. Do you know what the other drain line is for inside the panel on the rear of the fridge? It was dry when I opened it to check the bladder
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure. Can you post a picture and the model number, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can send it probably tomorrow. Have to pull fridge out and pull panel.Model number is *****
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

There is a drain for the freezer and the refrigerator, I thought you meant inside the cabinet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought it might be for the freezer, though this is a bottom mount freezer. Guess it makes no difference. Thanks.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

They route it through the cabinet so it can be deceiving.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Thank you.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Thank you!