Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The smell is most likely the result of burning windings on the high voltage transformer. The hum may be related or a magnetron failure. Both parts are high voltage components and expensive, so at 12 years old, it will probably be more economical to replace the microwave. However, if you would like to pursue repair, you will need a clamp on ammeter to accurately diagnose and exposing high voltage components will be necessary, creating a dangerous environment, even while unplugged! Let me know how you would like to proceed.