Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Kenmore coldspot 106.55529400 side by side... Freezer works

Customer Question
fine, fridge side sitting at...
kenmore coldspot 106.55529400 side by side... Freezer works fine, fridge side sitting at 40. I've pulled and thawed the condenser coils in back wall of freezer, that fan works fine. Followed that up to the top of freezer pulled and made sure the air valve that puts air into fridge is clear and working properly. I then poured hot water down the air return and can see it coming down and into the drain pan under fridge. However if I hold hand over air valve in top left of fridge it's barely getting any air and if I open freezer it gets more air flow I also used air compressor and cleaned out coils under unit as well
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
11/16/2015
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 2 years ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Ok the Coil in the freezer is the Evaporator coil .

The condenser coil is under the unit in the rear.

Where is this air return that you poured water into?

The fresh food sections air return is on the left fresh food wall and just above the crispers.

That's the one I poured water down

ok you may have damaged the unit beyond repair by doing that!!

Water should never be poured into that channel

Because it will not all drain out.

So do you still have the same issue of very little air coming out of the fresh food air supply vent in the top left corner ,but when you open the freezer door that you get a lot more air out of the vent?

I was told to put warm water down there to melt any ice if any and I watched it all pour out but yeah that is correct whe freezer door is open there is better air flow coming out of that

ok you could not have gotten 100% of the water out that you poured down it because the air channel is in the shape of a letter J so some of the water was left in there and since the air in the freezer and 1/2 of that wall is below freezing the water will freeze ,thus restricting the air flow.

When the freezer door is open you are pushing air from outside into the supply vent that is why it gets more air with the door open.

Make sure that you have nothing in the fresh food section that is blocking air flow into the air return.

If that area is clear, then your going to have to remove the louvers on the air return ,heat it up a bit with a hair dryer and try to sop up the remaining water in the air return channel up .

After I put the water down there I did use air compressor and blow it down there but I'll try this again when I get home from work and let u know. If that is also clear is there anything else it could be?

ok no problem!

Ok so I used blow dryer and blew hot air in the return vent and then blew it out real good with the air compressor still same air flow as before I did this

ok the dial is NOT the return air duct.

The return air duct is lower about 6 1/2 inches long about 3 inches wide. That is the return air duct

The ultra chill zone dial is is just a vent that directs air onto the door for cans to get cold quicker.

Refer to page 10 of the use and care booklet . page #10 shows you the air flow chart

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/user-manuals/10655529400-kenmore-parts-refrigerator%2C+sxs-manual?pathRender=fromManualTabPage

No I know that I was just showing you the other vent that seems to have restricted air flow

ok that is not even the correct vent!

The fresh food section air supply vent is in the top left rear corner , that is where the air comes in from the freezer that cools the fresh food section.

I am aware of that. The fresh food air supply from freezer has low air flow unless freezer door is open. Same goes with the ultra chill zone vent. The return vent near the drawers seems to be clear

ok then you will need to remove everything out of the freezer and remove the shelving and remove the rear interior freezer panel to cool at the Evaporator coil / ice frost pattern.

Do you still need assistance with your question?

What am I looking for on the back wall of freezer for a pattern? The coils have some ice on them more so on bottom but are frosted all the way

If the coil is frosted all the way across then the air can not flow properly .

Defrost the the ice and frost with a hair dryer or leave the rear interior cover off turn the refrigerator off with the freezer door open for several hours to defrost all the frost /ice ,then put it back to gather.

and the air flow in the fresh food section should be fine after that.

Master Tech
Master Tech