Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a frigidare model FGUB2642LF8 The Thermisol fell off

Customer Question

I have a frigidare model FGUB2642LF8
The Thermisol fell off the ice tray and got caught in the ice auger
It then shorted the whole fridge out. I replaced the main board( it was visibly fried) I replaced the ice maker, and I replaced the front display board(looked ok but was told it could be bad as well).
Now when I plug it in all it does is make a noise like it is trying to turn on (it hums for 2 seconds) then the display board flashes once and clicks off then the whole cycle repeats itself. The vompresdor and copper lines get a little cold but the fridge won't just run. I don't know what could be wrong
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like your compressor itself is overloading and was shorted out. Try to unplug the wires going to the compressor and see if the humming and clicking stops. If so, then you need a new compressor as well and it might just be better to replace the refrigerator since a new compressor is about $650.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What wires are those. Are they easy to find? Also the light in the fridge doesn't come on and the bulbs look fine
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

All the wires going to the side of the compressor. Just unplug them from the compressor. They plug into a plastic box called an overload relay, just remove it so that the compressor isn't attached to power.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try it when I get home
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

ok...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I unplugged the overload relay from the compressor and it still makes the same noise. About 5 little thumps or hums then a beep and the display screen flashes once
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

You're gunna have to find the thump.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try to find it.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

alright.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only way my fridge works is if I unplug both sets of wires in my ice maker. Then it works fine. If I plug them both in again everything shuts off and the fridge thumps and beeps sgain