Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

French door 2 year old KitchenAid frig. leaks water from

Customer Question
right front foot area on...
French door 2 year old KitchenAid frig. leaks water from right front foot area on floor. Happens every other day. Service person said to defrost for 48 hours; it's not solving the problem. There was a sheet of ice on bottom of freezer inside before leaking started. After paying $2800 for unit, I'm not going to defrost on a regular basis. Supposed to be frost free.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
11/12/2015
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 2 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Unfortunately this is not an easy issue to fix on these bottom freezer top refrigerators. You will want to unplug the unit for 24 hours to allow all the ice to thaw out. Once the ice is thawed out, the best way to clean the drain line is from the bottom up because going at it from the inside is really difficult. If you pull the refrigerator forward and remove the bottom access panel and locate the rubber hose which comes down directly from the middle or so of the freezer floor toward the back and use something like a turkey baster to shoot hot water up the hose. Once it's clear and you can blow air through the hose, you're good to go again. Also, if you have the ability to just unplug the refrigerator for 24 hours that'll thaw all the ice out and them you can just blow air up and clear the drain out.

Now this drain hose has been re-designed because the material on the hose would break down and the check valve inside won't allow water to flow out so below is a link to the new re-designed hose you'll want to order and replace with instructions.

CLICK HERE for drain hose

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc