Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I have a KDFE304DBLO that will not ever finish the wash

Customer Question

I have a KDFE304DBLO that will not ever finish the wash cycle. When you start it on any cycle (Prowash, Express etc.) it washes continuously. It will run forever without switching to rinsing or drying. I tried flipping the breaker to reset but it did no good. Please advise as this is a relatively new unit (less than 2 years old and I do not want to replace).
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

When it is washing fir this long time is the water being heated?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you run the HOT water at the closest sink before running the dishwasher?

What options are you using ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I usually run hot water at sink prior to starting. Periodically I forget. Since this started, I have tried the Prowash cycle, the Express cycle and possibly the Normal. All of which ran continuously.

Ok all of those are cycle .

what options are you using if any?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
heat dry

ok so you're not using any heated wash options at all ? like high temp wash or sani rinse

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no

Ok and you're ( continuously run ),how long have you let the unit run for?

And do you scrap the food off the dishes before putting them in and running the dishwasher?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We turned it on before we went to bed and it was still running 6 or 7 hours later. That was when we noticed a problem I am pretty sure that was first time. We tried it 2-3 more times using different cycles to see if that made a difference. When we determined it did not, I tried flipping breaker, that didn't work so I started researching online.
We usually rinse anything out of the ordinary prior to loading.

Ok do not rinse the dishes !

The detergent is designed to mix with the oils ,juices and sauces to properly work .

JUST scrap the food off .

The pro wash can run up to 190 mins that is three hours.

Do you have a Volt=Ohm meter and know how to use it to be able to do any testing on the heating element from the control board in the door?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check to see what I have. it is definitely heating up. When I stopped it each time after many hours, it was hot and steamy when I opened the door. Again, even the Express wash was running well 4 or 5 hours before I opened the door to stop it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no meter here

ok with out a meter we have no way to test the heater or the thermistor /temperature sensor.

I can guess but that is about it!

And since you say it is heating I would have to assume the issue is not the heater but the thermistor not sensing the water temperature .

so it just keeps running and trying to heat the water up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it that a part easily replaced by me? Is there an easy way to get the part number?

ok here is a link to the part ,it is mounted under the tub assembly

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermostat/W10195091/1872060?rcaid=1000070
If you have any questions just reply back.