Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Jon, It looks like you are the Viking guy around here. my

Customer Question

Hello Jon, It looks like you are the Viking guy around here. My name is ***** ***** wife and I just moved into a new place with what appears to be have a VCSB5481 in it. There are two issues we are experiencing with this unit. One, it goes through some serious temp swings. It will be at 30 degrees and then 50 when we wake up in the morning. I am wondering if there is a defrost cycle issue or thermostat. I have some industrial refrigeration experience but nothing on a Viking. The second issue, condensate is dripping on the floor. I see a trough shaped pan under the freezer and the drops of water are on the left side of the V shaped pan. There is no catch pan underneath this. I have read there are pan heaters available, those work great when you are producing your own power on a ship, but in this case, we are paying for it. I would like to attempt rolling the fridge out and looking it all over (plus the wonderful previous homeowners have a tripped gfci behind the fridge right now)
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! I suspect you may be seeing condensation from the heat exchanger that runs up the lack of the refrigerator on the left side (facing from the front). If you remove the rear wall from inside the freezer, right where the copper lines come in and meet with the aluminum lines to the evaporator coil, is there green stuff on those4 lines, especially up into the foam sleeve as it goes out the back of the cabinet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have the time to work on it tonight but can pull the wall off hopefully tomorrow. A lot of irons in the fire here. I did just shine a light at the evap coil that I can see in the bottom of the freezer, the coils are lightly iced but the fins are not, no growth to speak of on that. Could a fouled up line be causing my temp swings or more so the condensate on the floor? I am a Tom Brady sized guy, not a linebacker, can I slide this out on my own? Thanks!
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

The heat exchanger tends to sweat and then drips down onto the floor in the back. The insulation breaks down where the access panel covers it and the moisture finds its way down the back to the floor. The refrigerator is on rollers, you may need to raise the leveler legs so it allows movement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok that makes sense. Should this unit have a drip pan under it more or less like a cookie sheet? This does not. Any ideas on the wild fridge side temp swings? It's keeping beer near frozen now but will be 45 to 50f come morning. The temp swing has actually settled down a little since loading it with water jugs... makes sense. Temps have been confirmed with IR thermometer and fridge thermometer agreeing.Hopefully this unit rolls out alright.. a little intimidated with the top heavy warnings. But, shipboard units I have worked on have all components on top.. they aren't THAT top heavy.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

It is a bit wobbly, so you will definitely want to make sure you don't allow it to tip forward on you. They are top heavy and narrow front to back. There should be a drain pun underneath, yes. Is there no pan at all? If not, that is probably the issue, not the heat exchanger. Wide temp swings could be from too little product, sure. Also, if the return air vent, located toward the bottom on the left inside the refrigerator, is plugged it can cause temperature issues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the quick reply sir. No, a pan is not underneath it at all. I see what you are saying with it being shallow and top heavy, I may hold off on sliding it out until I have more people around. I do not want to earn the Darwinism award and be that guy- wife finds me pinned underneath it 10 hours later!Back to the "green stuff" you mentioned earlier on the refrigerant lines. Is the insulation green or are you referring to algae type growth? If the insulation is shot, I assume I can find something similar off the shelf right? For a second I thought of great stuff... but that could make any maintenance back there later on a real good time.Last, is there another location I can find the serial & model numbers to this? Like I said, it looks like someone politely ripped the nameplate out. I would prefer to keep this case open for a while until I get this all sorted. Thanks again for the help.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

The model tag should be in the freezer on the side wall, usually about waist level. That is actually made by Kitchen Aid, so you should find the tag there. Viking only makes their ranges, the rest are sourced, branded with the Viking name and the price doubled.