Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Frigidaire MEF352BGWD Electric Stove. And the oven

Customer Question
I have a Frigidaire MEF352BGWD...
I have a Frigidaire MEF352BGWD Electric Stove. And the oven door is stuck 'open' with the lock engaged. How do I get the lock to disengage? I have unplugged the stove for several minutes already. I have tried turning the self cleaning knob to the 'on' position, and holding in the oven door light button for 60 seconds, then turning the self cleaning know to the 'off' position again, and holding the oven door light button again for 60 seconds. Feel free to call me at(###) ###-#### Elizabeth
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
11/10/2015
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 2 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

This should actually be a fairly easy issue to fix. When the door gets locked open, you just need to trick the door into thinking that it's shut. So open the door and locate the door/light switch around the frame of the oven. Push the door switch in and hold it so that the oven thinks the door is shut. Now just start a self clean cycle and wait 60 seconds. Then cancel the self clean cycle and the door lock should open. At that point you can let go of the light switch and the oven should work normally. If not, tape the door switch in and unplug the oven or flip the breaker off to the oven for 60 seconds and then when you re-apply power the latch should unlock.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

If neither option works, then you need to replace the door latch because it has just failed. That isn't very common, but if you say neither option worked and you did them as I instructed, then the latch needs to be replaced.

Are you sure? I've had this happen before and the technician, did something to the timer, or the stop time. But I can't remember the sequence, or I would've tried it again.

Yes, I am 100% sure. If the technician did something to the timer then all he did was the same thing I instructed you to do which wash to hold the door switch in and try to start a self cleaning cycle, then cancel it 60 seconds later.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc