Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Have a Samsung dryer that will not heat. Checked the element

Customer Question

Have a Samsung dryer that will not heat.
Checked the element it was good, found the hi temp sensor open. Replaced it and it ran for a short time and stop heating again. Then found hi temp sensor open again. Also check the outside vent it is clear and open. Can you help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.

Air flow must be poor otherwise that thermal fuse would not be opening. Take the lint filter duct off and make sure nothing is clogging air flow at or to the blower. The blower wheel can become clogged up with lint. Nothing else but poor air flow is the problem here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have good air flow coming out of the outside vent
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.

Are the drum felts in good shape?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they are
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey thanks for trying, you did not help. Guess I will call out a service man
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Did you test the element to be certain it has not shorted to ground? If you start an air dry only cycle, no heat, does it heat the drum?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I test it and it had 9.7 ohns. Did not do a air dry only, I have it all apart now so can not do that.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Can you test between the element and the case and see what reading you get there, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
zero,open , it is not grounded
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Okay, so if the element is not shorted and you are absolutely certain the air flow is good, there is a problem with the thermistor that tells the control when to heat or the control is faulty and not shutting the heater off when it is told to by the thermistor.

Thermistor

Control

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is that the second sensor inline with the hi temp going to the heater
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

No, the thermistor is mounted on the blower housing. If you click the link for it, there is a video showing exactly where it is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I unhooked the heater unit and removed it and started the dryer. I had 120v on each lead that would be going to the heater.
that tells me that other sensor not the high temp may be the issue. Who do you think?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Do you read 240 VAC between the two wires with it running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 240 across the two wires that would be feeding the heater. That blowing unit has two sensor , how do I know which one is it
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

If you have 240 VAC at those wires and no heat (when element is plugged in), the element is faulty (open).

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

If you put the element back in and the voltage drops when it is hooked up, you likely have a bad relay on the control, failing under a load. What voltage do you read when the element is hooked up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it not it reads 9.7 O. it is overheating like its not controlling, and taking out the high temp sen
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Did you bypass the high temp sensor to get the voltage to the element? Or is there a new one in there again? Your original post said it was open.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

The thermistor looks like the one in the link I sent you. It is the one closest to the motor, the larger black one. Did you watch the video at the link?

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the whole heater unit removed to check that 240 . I see which one is the thermistor so that what you think it is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the high temp once and need to replace again . the other sensor on the heater unit could not be the problem?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Well, it could be the control or the thermistor. Usually, if the thermistor fails, there will be an error code. However, if it is just out of range enough to cause overheat, it may not error. So, it could be either one. I would order both and try the thermistor first. If you order through the links I sent you, you can return either one you don't need, EVEN IF INSTALLED! No, the thermostats on the heaters are safeties, they are not designed to cycle heat on and off, only to open in an overheat situation.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know about the thermistor but not is the control you talk about is it another part ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the control unit you are talking about? part name?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

The main control, the part that controls the functions of the machine. Both parts are available below.

CONTROL CLICK HERE

THERMISTOR CLICK HERE