Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My whirlpool washer fills up with water and does nothing

Customer Question

my whirlpool washer fills up with water and does nothing after that, just a buzzing noise
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

If the motor just buzzes, remove the pump from the motor and see if the motor will run without the pump connected. If so then remove the pump and check for debris inside. If it still doesn't run then remove the motor from the transmission and see if the motor will run when it's not connected to the transmission. If so then the transmission is locked up and you'd need a new transmission. If not, you either have a bad motor capacitor or the red wire going to the motor is loose where it plugs into the molex connected on the motor. Check the red wire and if you find nothing, the motor capacitor needs to be replaced.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still not working. I already replaced the motor and timer, I put an ohm meter to the capacitor it has a reading and then goes to zero.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

You would have to test the actual micro ferads with a micro ferad setting. There is nothing left so with the timer and motor replaced, either you have a loose wire coming from the capacitor or the capacitor is bad---those are the only options.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took the pump off and it still hums, I removed the motor from the trans and still nothing. Someone told me the lid switch could be causing my problem ???
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

No, it's not your lid switch or the motor would never get power to hum. I have already told you the 2 options and there are no more.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your time I will go spend another $45.00 and replace the capacitor. good luck to me.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

ok good luck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After all that. Still not working. My wife said if I spend another dollar or another hour she was going to leave. We bought a new washer.