Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Whirlpool micro wave oven gets a message on display screen

Customer Question

Whirlpool micro wave oven gets a message on display screen of "F7" . Stops often and needs to be reset all the time. Serial # ***** Model GH9177XLQ-1
What is the part needed?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So F7 is a terrible error to get because there is really no way to test for certain which part is causing the problem. You could have a faulty magnetron itself, a faulty inverter board, or one of your door switches can just not be activating correctly. You can’t test the magnetron or the inverter board, so the best thing to do is check the door switches. Unplug the unit and remove the control panel. This will give you access to the door switches to the left of the control panel opening. There should be 3 switches which you can remove and make sure they don’t look burnt. Push on the little actuator buttons and see if the switches still click. If so then reinstall the switches and shut the door to make sure the door is activating all the switches when the door shuts. If so, then it’s time to guess which part you want to replace–either the magnetron or the inverter board. The manufacturer will tell you to replace the inverter board first, but it’s really a toss up.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sould have called
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure what you mean?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

I sent you over an offer if you'd like to speak by phone. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.