John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a maytag washer (Duet) that kept giving me error

Customer Question

I have a maytag washer (Duet) that kept giving me error codes J5 and F21. I replaced a bad drain pump and got 5 loads done and then it gave me these error codes again. In trouble shooting the issue I felt a round object in the drain hose right beneath the drum. Is this what is creating the continuing issue? I have run all the suggested cycles to clear the error code and nothing has worked.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

There is NO J5 error code!

Could it have been a Sd error code?

And the round ball in the bottom of the tub is a check ball it has to be there so water will not flow back up into the washer from the drain line.

What type of detergent do you use?

Has the washer ever had a store bought washer cleaner through it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
maybe it was a "D5" and I use Costco environmentally clean detergent for the last year or so and no I haven't ever used a cleaner through it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The error code in the manual stated that it may have had too much detergent in it so I ran a completely empty load of just water through it but I still keep getting the same error code.

The suds error code is Sd .

This detergent is it HE type detergent?

And how much detergent per load do you use?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's HE and I have been using the recommended amount.

the recommended amount from Whom the washer manufacture or the detergent manufacture

Should be 2-3 table spoons of detergent per load

Your only using 1 1/2 gallons of water per cycle

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I select the wash cycle I want which is usually the regular cycle at 56 minutes. I have no idea how much water that puts in the drum.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Based on what I have been draining out, there is more like 2-2.5 gallons coming out.

That is the entire unit including the sump the inner basket where the clothes are is 1 1/2 gallons

Look at the laundry pods and how much detergent is in those.

that is the only amount of detergent needed . if your going by what the detergent manufacture calls for they want you to use more the more detergent you use the more you by.

Have you ever cleaned the lint filter / button catch out ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the lint / filter button catch out? Never heard of that. I don't use laundry detergent pods, it is old school in a small cup that I don't fill to the top.

The button catch is in the bottom of the washer if you remove the lower front panel ( two screws under the panel) .it is right in the center.

And just as long as your not using over 2-3 table spoons of detergent,if you are your accumulating excessive detergent in the washer which needs to be cleaned out using a washer cleaner, I recommend a product called AFFERSH

It is sold everywhere detergents are sold .

On this washer I would clean the button catch and get all of the treasures out of there and then use the cleaner.

Depending upon how much detergent is built up in the unit you may have to use it two or three times to get the interior of the washer out