Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

E 15 error codes. i was getting them about a year and a half

Customer Question
e 15 error codes....
e 15 error codes. i was getting them about a year and a half ago. i took the unit out tilted it and cleaned it. the e15 has come back . if the unit is not level can it trip the flood sensor and get the e 15 error code
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/2/2015
Appliance Technician: AppTech8579, Home Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
AppTech8579
AppTech8579, Home Appliance Technician

Is there water in the base?

do you mean below the tub

yes underneath the dishwasher

very little. It stops when i tilt the machine, and leave it alone when i try to level the machine the code kicks in and the pump starts running
I did the tilt thing three days ago and it stopped. i ran the machine for 3 days then the code came back

E15 indicates water is in the base. If the code keeps coming back then it means you have a leak somewhere and will need to find it to fix it.

Using the Star Rating Chart at the top of your page and rating me at least a 3 star is how I receive credit for helping you. Please if you do not understand my answer, don't hesitate to ask for more help. Thank you for using Just Answer.

how does it sense if there is water in the base. where is that sensor located. and where should i start looking for the leak.

Very hard to determine where the leak would be without being there. Check hoses for pin holes or anything. I need the model number to let you know where the float is.

shx7er55uc/52 is the model
i have the machine out on the floor now, what next.

Okay give me a minute to locate that model number.

ok on further inspection of the base it is very dry. it like any time i try to level the machine it goes into flood mode :-(

Okay on the left side do you see the chamber where the water goes into?

the part that looks like a little tub. and that would be if i am looking at the machine from the front correct

yes, it should have a white plastic rod that is connected to it and goes to a small microswitch.

ok give me a minute

ok

should there be water in the tube. mine is about 15% full. is the rode to the left of the tube? i feel i have to take the door off to get my hand in there. what do you think

No you dont need to remove the door or I haven't never. DOes the rod move freely?

There should be no water in the chamber so clear all that out as well. Make sure the rod moves freely and is connected and the switch is not stuck.

can't seem to find the rode, but i did notice water just to the left of the chamber in the base
where is the rode in relation to the water chamber

The rod is connected to the chamber or should be.

ok stand by

will do

mines does not have a white rode. to the left of chamber is a round circle in base that has some sort of disk, that is white in color. attached to this disk is a small clear box with a molex connector and some time of sensor,

Can you post a picture please?

i am sorry to the right of the chamber is the round circle base. the disk seems to made out of some type of foam

Okay, that disc is the float. Make sure it is not stuck and nothing obstructing it.

sure give me a minute

ok

could you see the photo

Here is the float switch here is the float

Did you check that the float is not stuck?

is the picture i sent you the float?

yes

i can't quite get my hand in there. i am taking off the door. give me a few mins.
it is in the back by the water inlet?

Yes. Here is a video that will help you. Not your model but will give you an idea where it is.

i got to the float. there was wetness under the foam float, but no accumulation. the switch seems to be operational. could it be going bad?

Yes, it is possible that the switch is faulty and could also be the control board.

how do i trouble shoot that. is there any way to test the switch. i thought maybe i don't let the switch come in contact with the float. basically defeating the flood control. what do you advise

Do you have a multimeter?

i do

okay, test the switch for continuity

do i need to reconnetct the dish washer to test the switch?

No. Remove the kick panel to get access to the float switch. Pull off the wires from the float switch terminals. Remember to label the wires by pulling them one by one. This will help you if you need to replace the float switch. Set the switch in ON position by pulling down the lever.

my switch only has a little black button as the switch. i have the switch out on the bench.
copy that . i have it in my hand now

ok

what are readings suppose to be on the switch. and which terminals do i place the probes on?

Hold the probes of the multimeter at the switch terminals. Your multimeter should read zero or slightly above zero. If you get any other reading, you have a bad float switch.

i have three terminals which ones do i meter. i know that is kind of a stupid questions, but just trying to be through

Did it have 2 or 3 wires connected?

i am getting 11.4 between terminals 1 and 3

was that in the up position? What does it read while in down position?

that was in the up position . in the down position i got .02 between terminal 2and 3

Okay, the switch is bad and will need to be replaced.

ok sounds about right. wow that was a chore lol. Thanks so much for your help and patience. it sucked taking the door off but i could not get my mits in to take it out.

Not a problem. Glad I could help.

Using the Star Rating Chart at the top of your page and rating me at least a 3 star is how I receive credit for helping you. Please if you do not understand my answer, don't hesitate to ask for more help. Thank you for using Just Answer

my wife says you should get five stars. lol. so there it is. hopefully it is just the switch. i was so hoping it was not the control board. thanks again and have a good evening.

Not a problem. Thanks to the both of you. Just use the Star rating link at the top of your page to rate me.

AppTech8579
AppTech8579
AppTech8579, Home Appliance Technician