John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Had a tech diagnose a jumping unit as motor and control card

Customer Question

had a tech diagnose a jumping unit as motor and control card problem..installed new motor & control conversion and end up with same. unit starts to jump around and shuts off
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Alex Herbert replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** am here to help answer your question. Your washer has 3 tub displacement switches. If the washer is out of balance the switches will trip and shut the washer down. When the switches go bad, the washer will shut down when it shouldn't. One switch is located on the bottom center front of the tub and the other switch is on the side of he tub. Here are the part numbers 22003302, and 2 part number 22002044. One switch is located on the front bottom on the tub ad the other 2 are located on the sides.

Please rate my service by using the star rating system at the top of the page. This is how I am credited for my time. You can ask free follow up questions at any time. Thank you for using JustAnswer.com.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Alex. I think I understand the function of the switches, however; what will cause the tub to go so far out of balance as to make the washer literally jump and move across the floor? The struts seem to be ok.

Make sure the washer is level. To correctly level the washer all 4 legs need to be turned in so that they are almost flush with the bottom of the machine. Then only adjust the leg(s) down as needed until the washer is level. This will help with leveling. Make sure the washer is on a good solid floor. If you feel the floor vibrating in the next room when the washer spins, you may need to put plywood under your washer. The other issue could be broken or loose bolts or weld on the back of the inner tub. The inner tub would need to be removed to check this. The issue could also be a warped tub or a bad bearing. If the washer is extremely noisy on spin, you have a bad bearing.