How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tyler Z. Your Own Question
Tyler Z.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 81203
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Tyler Z. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How to convert a GE front loader dryer to propane

Customer Question

How to convert a GE front loader dryer to propane
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So first, you need the conversion kit which you can order in the link below and it comes with instruction. You'll need to replace the orifice and a pressure nut on the gas valve below the drum to convert this unit to propane.

CLICK HERE for kit

As for how to get into the dryer which is not explained on the instructions because they don't want home owners doing this, I can tell you how to do that. You'll need to pull the center knob straight forward and off. There will be a screw exposed behind this knob and the control panel will then pull straight up a few inches. Now you can remove a couple screws going into the top panel just behind the control panel and the top panel of the dryer will pull straight back, up, and off. Remove the remaining screws going into the control panel and pull the control panel off. Now just remove the screws along the top and bottom of the front panel and the front panel pulls off so you have access to convert the dryer.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the door and the front panel off, but the drum is in the way of getting to the burner assembly and even seeing the orginal orfice
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

If you need to remove the drum you just reach under the drum, disconnect the belt, and then pull the drum forward and out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To remove the drum, do you just remove the 4 screws in the center of the drum? Then will the valve assembly be accessable?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

No don't do that. Just reach under, disconnect the belt, and pull the drum out. If you remove those screws, you'll have a lot of "fun" putting the drum back together.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I will try to remove the drum and then will the valve assembly have to be removed? or will I be able to replace the propane orifice without further dissassembly?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

The assembly is not removed. You just replace the orifice and such once you pull the drum out. No more disassembly is needed unless you want to remove the igniter or something to get better access.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, drum is out and I am trying to see where the orifice is.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Just look at the burner to the side of the igniter. It's right there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One final question, does the air control slide need to be changed for propane, it is currently 1/2 open as from the factory.You have been a great help, thank you
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

You can leave that 1/2 open. That shouldn't need to be adjusted. That is just how much oxygen is going to be mixed with the gas which shouldn't really need to be changed unless you move to a higher or lower altitude.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?