Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My Kitchen Aid Dishwasher Type 577-1 has been overflowing.

Customer Question
Does not seem to be...
My Kitchen Aid Dishwasher Type 577-1 has been overflowing. Does not seem to be draining properly
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
10/27/2015
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 2 years ago
Joel Swenson

Hello, I'm Joel thank you for your interest in our service. If you have been waiting a while

I apologize we try to help as many customers as possible in a timely manner. I am now

available to help you with your question.

Ok. This is my first time to use this service. So not quite sure how to proceed. Anyway, you have my question. Let me know if you need any further detail.
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 2 years ago

The reason you dishwasher is not draining properly causing water to back up in the unit is you drain pump is not operating at properly and it needs to be replaced or cleaned out, do you have any mechanical exp or exp using a voltage/ohm meter? I just ask because I do not know who I am speaking with and what you have exp in.

Not an expert. Hence the reason for utilizing this service.
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 2 years ago

ok check inside the dishwasher and check the float its a white or off colored looking dome almost that should move up and down freely so that as the water comes into the dishwasher it rises once it hits a certain point it will kill the water flow to the machine, make sure this is not obstructed in any way.

Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 2 years ago

is the water cutting off or just constantly running into the dishwasher?

Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 2 years ago

if water is stopping then that is not the issue the water pump is and will need to be replaced as is it not draining properly.

part #: W10348269.

I will also link you to a video that will show you how to replace the pump: VIDEO

If you need any help at all feel free to ask me so we get this dishwasher back in working order. Thanks.

Please remember we are on the honor system here, so please do not forget to rate my service

by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything

else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge

after rating my service if you still need assistance.

I turned dishwasher off when it began to overflow. Water still sitting, undefined, at bottom of dishwasher.
The grey dome is not obstructed and moves up and down w/out a problem.
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 2 years ago

ok turn the power back and let me know if water still comes in, if possible. Thanks.

Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 2 years ago

and did you turn the power off at the breaker or just the control board of the dishwasher?

Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 2 years ago

If the water is steadily coming in there are 3 components that could be bad:

1. the float switch

2. water inlet valve

3. the control board

so without replacing all 3 parts the only way to figure out which one is at fault is if you have a voltage/ohm meter and are familiar with using one. If not my suggestion is calling out a qualified tech to do this for you, as water and electricity does not mix well.

please remember we are on the honor system here, so please do not forget to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson