John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a Kenmore side by side refrigerator and the freezer

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore side by side refrigerator and the freezer will not go below 18 degrees even if I set the temp. at 4. Refrigerator is set at 40. It is eleven years old and has worked fine until lately. Now the ice cream won't stay hard.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

The first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are the packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, not frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This looks like a more complex job than I thought. I think I will just call a service man to come do the work.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Alright that's up to you of course. Sorry to hear about the problems with your refrigerator.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am 76 years old and not as adept at working on things as I used to be. Thanks for your help.Robert
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Alright well good luck to you.