Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

One of the 120v electrical outlets on top of our Kenmore

Customer Question

One of the 120v electrical outlets on top of our Kenmore electric stove was used by a worker during a countertop installation/kitchen renovation and as he was drilling a hole through the quartz counter for a faucet, his drill stopped after 30 seconds or so and it's as if the use of the drill via an extension, blew an internal fuse for that stove outlet. The rest of the oven is OK and so is the other outlet on the other side of the stove. Is there a fuse within I can change easily? We needed that side of the oven outlet to be working. It's a Kenmore model# *****
Category: Appliance
Expert:  alexmela replied 1 year ago.

Are you talking about GFCI counter top receptacle? it has test and reset buttons?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am referring to the one of the two plug in type receptacles that are at the very top of the oven either side of the fluorescent light which are above the controls. I don't see any test and reset buttons unless they are behind the back panel where there are numerous screws. I haven't had the back panel off yet to have a look. Do I have to take the back panel off? The electric oven is a Kenmore model# *****
Expert:  alexmela replied 1 year ago.

So that's integrated receptacles in the oven. This question is for appliance category . I will try to move this question there.

Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

I am a different tech, did he drill into the stove or just a wire?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No-one drilled into the stove. The worker was using a drill on my new countertop and had his drill plugged into an extension cord which was plugged into one of the 120V stove outlets and after a minute or two the drill cut out as if the outlet has a fuse or breaker. So what happened for the stove outlet to no longer be alive and active? What do I do to fix that outlet which no longer provides power?

You would have to remove the back panel where the unit is and check for an inline fuse, there should be one there. They used to use inline glass bus fuses on the older units.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's perfectly simple. What do I have to do to get power again from the left hand outlet on top of the stove? There is nothing wrong with the right hand outlet and the rest of the stove works fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, thanks. I'll have a look behind the back panel. The stove is 10 years old. If it is an inline fuse, is that an item I could buy at a specialty electrical parts store? There is a store called Osscan in Oshawa which is very good so I'm hoping they will have something to replace the inline fuse.

Yes it is a standard fuse you can get at any hardware store.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I'll take a look sometime in the next couple of days. Have a lot to do yet regarding the kitchen reno. It's a busy time for me

OK no problem

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks