Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Maytag refrigerator/freezer is making a loud buzzing

Customer Question

My Maytag refrigerator/freezer is making a loud buzzing sound every 2 minutes or so for @ 5 seconds, coming from the compressor. I replaced the relay start and capicator and the noise stopped for a couple of hours. But the frig did not get cold enough and the buzzing started again.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So you were right to try to replace the overload start relay, but if that didn't work, it means your compressor is just drawing too much power causing the relay to trip. Over time the piston inside the compressor just starts to drag and it requires more power to keep it moving. Unfortunately the compressor must be replaced to fix your issue and that will cost about $650 to have this part replaced if you wanted to fix the refrigerator.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.