Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

O. Ice formed in bottom freezer, so my husband followed

Customer Question
Customer: ***** ***** O. Ice...
Customer: ***** ***** O. Ice formed in bottom freezer, so my husband followed directions and defrosted, cleaned etc the freezer to include removing back panel. This was yesterday. This morning, a thin layer of ice has formed (maybe from the baskets being damp when they were put back) and it looks like a small snow storm has happened. Now what do we do?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: See message for details.
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure I can wait.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
No ice sheets had reformed to indicate leakage and it was very cold in the compartment (18F).
Wondering if I'll get a reply today? Earlier is sounded as if I would have just a short while to wait & it's been hours.
Answered in 1 day by:
10/19/2015
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 2 years ago
Joel Swenson

Hello sorry for your long wait for a reply, the original problem, the evaporator coils freezing up is due to a defrost problem, the unit should go into automatic defrost cycle every 8 -12 hours depending on your model. Now that is only true if it is an upright freezer, if this is a chest style freezer then you will need to manually defrost it yourself as the ice builds up over time. Now the part about it looks like it snowed in the freezer can only be cause by one problem and that is moisture which means you need to check the gasket on the door to make sure there are no rips or tears or abnormalities that would not let it close properly. Hope this helps ... let me know if I can help you with any other questions. Thanks.

Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson