Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have Electrolux cooktop, model# EW36CC55GS2. I replaced

Customer Question
Dear Sir, I have Electrolux cooktop...
Dear Sir,
I have Electrolux cooktop , model# ***** I replaced the relay board and I'm having an error code of 39/40 flashing. I read an article on this site, which is exactly the same problem as I'm having. But I don't know which is Right Front Zone and Left Front Zone. There 5 heaters, 3 regular ones and 2 inductive. The two inductive heaters are located n the right side, one big one small.
I actually tried to press WARM and keep holding all the 5 "on" keys one after another. Beeps come after 30 seconds. But the error stay.
Please help
Thanks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
10/17/2015
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 2 years ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

Do you have the part number that you put in?

The relay board is pat# *****###-##-####
No matter which key I pressed for more than 30 seconds, a beep would comes out.
The original error was E95. The insurance company sent a technician tried to fix it. The technician brought a relay board (318388400) and replaced it. The error code changed to E95/39/40. Then the technician told the insurance it can not be fixed. I got a "cash-out" from the insurance. I still want to fix it myself. I purchased a new Main Board, replaced the damaged one. The E95 code disappeared but the E39/40 code remains. The technician took the original relay board away. It seems the new relay board the technician replaced needs to re-configuration.

OK that board never solves that issue, you actually need to replace this one, I would order it from here as you get a 1 year warranty and NO HASSLE returns on installed parts...worth it when buying a super expensive board. That should fix it though they go bad all the time.

CLICK HERE

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING SYSTEM at the top of your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

The board you suggested has been replaced. That's why the E95 code has been cleared. There was only E95 code when the cooktop went wrong. After the technician came to replaced the relay board, the error code became E95/39/40. It's a mistake that I should have asked him to put the original relay board back. Now I replaced the main board (the board you suggested), E95 disappeared, which means the main board replacement was correct. But the E39/40 code stays. I checked website for this error code. It says simply hole the WARM key and the ON key of right front zone for >30 seconds, the error would go away. I tried but it doesn't work.

So both boards have been replaced and you still are getting the E39/40 code?

Actually the board I replaced was a combo of the filter board and the main board (they are on the same plastic frame, part####-##-####, The technician brought a new relay board. I believe problem is on the relay board. Before he replaced the relay board, the error code was E95. After he replaced the relay board, error code became E95/39/40. No, with the new combo board, error code is E39/40.
There is a link in this website saying simply hold the WARM key while press On keys. But it doesn't work in my case. I tried a couple of times and toggled the breaker, didn't work.Thanks

OK so you replaced the very expensive one right?

The error code of E95 indicating "communication error", which suggests replace the Filter board. I checked the filter board and found the fuse was blown off. I didn't believe the filter board could cause the 20A fuse blown off. The problem must be on the main control/power board. I believe I was right.

OK well if you have the old relay board in I would agree with you you need to replace that board and that should correct the issue. I can think of nothing else that would cause that.

I think you are right 100%

I paid $45 deposit for "problem solved". Does this mean the problem has been solved?

You can get back to me directly after a rating for any free followup questions after you get the part...no problem

I definitely can rate you 5 stars. But I don't think the problem has been solved. Do the two things related or not? I mean, rate your knowledge and pay the website?
Before I know you are able to guide me through to a solution, I'd rather not paying another $18 talk over phone.

The rating is to give me credit for my time, I have no idea what you paid and you can always change it to less as well. I only receive a small percentage of anything you pay the site. Also a rating does not close the question and nothing else you will have to pay and yes I will stick through with you until you get this thing fixed as you have to order that part and see. I can get yo a link to it if you want as well.

I'd like to rate your service till the problem is fully solved.

Yes that is not an issue at all, do you know the part you are going to order?

I have had all the board replaced. I don't know what else I want to replace. There are only 4 boards, I have replaced 3. The last one is the touch panel board which is functional OK.

Ok but not all 3 new ones at the same time right? you have an old relay board in it correct

No. The relay board installed now was from the technician. The error code E95 indicating the filter board is bad. But I don't know why the technician ordered a relay board. After he installed the relay board, the error code became E95/39/40. I didn't ask him to install back the original relay board. Now I have now way to get that board back. I don't have the contact information of that technician. But I saw he took the relay board from a new sealed plastic bag. It is new board for sure.

OK so all that is left to put in is the filter board then?

The filter board has been replaced together with the main board, the combo board. The only one has not replaced is the touch panel board, which work fine.

Have you double checked all the cables and reseated all of them?

I'm an EE. I checked everything again and again. It displays a different error code for anything connection problem.

If you unplug the touchpad do you get the same code?

The display is on the touch panel. There will be no display if the touch panel is disconnected.

Do all the elements test good? You may have a bad one causing the error?

If the inductive elements are disconnected, it give me a different error code. I'm pretty sure they are all good. A damaged cap has been located on the replaced main board. That's the reason the fuse were blown off.

OK so there was a damaged capacitor on the new board? I really am having a hard time following you on this as it seems new info keeps coming to light.

This is not a new information. The dead cap is on the main board which has been replaced. So the blown fuse was caused by the dead cap, not a damaged element.

Yes but that would mean the board may have been damaged as well so there is not way to even know if the board in it is good

I don't understand. The error code is clearly telling where the problem is. If you look at the user manual, under E39, there is no hardware problem. It simply asks you to press WARM key and press ON key and so on. Not like other error codes, where it tells you which parts heeds to be replaced.

You have to remember the error codes are far from bullet proof,l heck have the time they point you to one thing and it is something else all together especially with Electrolux products. I would say at this point if I were you get a new board ...the one you changed out the capacitor...and return the other one, buy it from Repairclinic.com try it and send it back. It only takes an overvoltage of 10volts to wreck a chip and I think the board you replaced the cap on is bad.

The clear clue here is before and after the relay board was replaced. Before, the error code was E95, after, it was E95/39/40. After the main board was replaced, the E95 disappeared.
Let's stop here. This will go nowhere.Thanks anyway.

I agree take care

Appliance Technician: MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
MRANSWER
MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician

You did not detail the correct button push sequence for clearing the 39 error. You must hold down the warm key, then press the RF zone power key, then press the LF or LR zone power key. Do not let up on the warm key.

Sorry I was directed to another answer thread.To answer your question: No, it didn't work. I did keep holding the WARM key when pressing other keys. 39/40 stays. I toggled the power and did the same a couple of times. didn't work.By the way, there is no induction zone power switch on my cooktop. The only power switches are the individual on/off button associated with each elements.Below is the response I sent to the other thread:
My cooktop has 5 elements: 3 radian and 2 inductions. The 2 inductions are located at the right side of the cooktop plate, one big and one small. Each inductions has its own On/Off key.I powered on the cooktop, 5 "Es" are displayed and 39/40 error code flashing.I held down the WARM key and press one of the induction On/Off key down. I waited till a couple of beeps came out. And I did the same on the other on/off key. I did these many times. The 39/40 error code stays. I found no matter which key I pressed and no matter one key or more than one keys hold down together, the beep comes after about 30 seconds.Please help.
MRANSWER
MRANSWER
MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician