Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My GE profile oven is locked in the open position. How can I

Customer Question

My GE profile oven is locked in the open position. How can I unlock this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Good morning!

When the door gets locked open, you just need to trick the door into thinking that it's shut. So open the door and locate the door/light switch around the frame of the oven. Push the door switch in and hold it so that the oven thinks the door is shut. Now just start a self clean cycle and wait 60 seconds. Then cancel the self clean cycle and the door lock should open. At that point you can let go of the light switch and the oven should work normally.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This did not work. Door still locked in open position.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

You can also try to unplug the oven and tape the door switch in and see if it resets. If it didn't work, then you'd need to replace the latch because the latch has just become faulty.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The door will not close properly - still in locked position but "locked door" light is off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cannot afford an additional $18. after the original $28. did not solve problem. I still cannot use the oven.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure what you mean? I never said there was another $18 charge. What I said was you can also try to unplug the oven and tape the door switch in and see if it resets. If it didn't work, then you'd need to replace the latch because the latch has just become faulty.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I had you call me, I understood there would be an additional charge of $18. Right?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, if you wanted a phone call, but I believe I've told you everything there is to fixing this issue. If neither option works, your latch has failed and would need to be replaced.