Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Er 1f on LG French door refigerator. Also Refrigerator

Customer Question
section is freezing up everything...
Er 1f on LG French door refigerator. Also Refrigerator section is freezing up everything that goes in there
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
10/14/2015
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 2 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So first, let me explain this error. Error "Er IF" means that your icemaker fan motor isn't spinning properly. This fan motor is located behind the back wall inside the freezer in the upper left corner. Now normally just frost or ice build up has accumulated inside the fan housing causing this issue. You can generally just unplug the refrigerator for 24 hours and let everything thaw out and it will function normally afterwards,

For a more immediate solution, you would need to unplug the refrigerator, remove everything out of the freezer section including the drawer and icemaker (if you have one inside the freezer) and remove the back panel inside the freezer to expose the fan motor, then use a hair dryer to thaw the fan out quicker.

If for some reason just thawing the fan motor out doesn't resolve the issue, the icemaker fan motor would need to be replaced because it's failing. Below is a video on how to remove the back panel if that's the way you want to go or need to replace the icemaker fan motor. Ignore the fan they are replacing, that is not the same fan you're interested in. The fan you are looking at is in the upper back left corner.

CLICK HERE for video

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Going to plug out tonight

ok good luck.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Sorry if I repeated myself.

My ice maker appears not to be in the freezer but on the inside door

Yes, but the fan blows from the freezer all the way up to that door.

I see. Because there is an on and off button on the Apparatus in the door

Yes I know. But that just controls the computer. The error code tells you what is wrong, you just need to follow that. It's not imperative that you know how everything works together on your refrigerator, just how to fix it which is what I have given you.

Ok

Good luck and again, please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today.

I will plug out tonight and see what happens

ok.....

I will do the ratings when I see if your advice works

I can't control whether or not unplugging the unit fixes the issue or not. I have already stated that you may need to replace the fan if unplugging it doesn't work. Which of those 2 things fixes the problem is not under my control. I have certainly given you 2 days worth of my time now however and you don't seem to respect that by holding out.

I will do the ratings when I see if the advice works

have a nice day. we are done.

Have a nice day too . Appreciated your help

It does not sound that way. Have a nice day.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc