Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Tyler. Replaced LG washer drain pump again and it works

Customer Question

Hi Tyler. Replaced LG washer drain pump again and it works fine. Meanwhile, just replaced control board (No.(###) ###-####) on our Bosch fridge 22CS 80 26SNS-01 (part was backordered forever), and it did not correct problem (interior lights out, front control
panel/touchscreen unlit and doesn't operate, incl. icemaker and water dispenser. Refrigerating function -- compressor, fans -- work okay). ? ?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like the door switch thinks the door is open which is why the touch screen won't illuminate and the dispenser doesn't work and such. I'd be checking the door switch for the door with the control panel built into it. If you don't know how to test it with a multimeter, then I'd just order and replace it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could be the other door switch? (The refrigerator door, rather than the freezer door with the panel?) For a week or so before the major failure, that switch needed to be jiggled before the fridge light would go on. I didn't zero in on it, because the other switch worked fine before the whole thing went out and then I (maybe falsely) concluded it to be part of a greater problem.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

It could cause some of the issues, but it wouldn't stop the dispenser from dispensing ice and water if that were the case. Usually the door switch issue has to deal with the main control board. This refrigerator is known for the relay on the main control board failing which controls the lights inside the refrigerator.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I open either door, the interior fan stops but neither light comes on. When I push either switch as if the door were closed, the interior fan stops. Do the switches have two relays -- one for light, one for fan?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant interior fan STARTS when I push switch, not stops.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

No, they do not. If the fan is running then the switches are working. But if the switches aren't the issue, the main control board on the back of the refrigerator is the faulty part that will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The main control board that I replaced is the one on top (right front) of the refrigerator, under a small panel. There's a second one on the left front top over the freezer. ??
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Correct, there are 2 on top so if you replaced one, then it sounds like you need to replace the other one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The other board is available and I can order it. Surprisingly (for electronic components), I can send the first board back for credit. Do I dare, or is there a possibility I'll still need it?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

If the conditions didn't change whatsoever when you replaced the board, then send it back because you would never have the exact same conditions after replacing the board even if it was faulty.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

No problem and good luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any chance when I replaced the board yesterday it reset the controls? The freezer warmed up overnight, even though it looks like the compressor and fan continue to cycle.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Possibly? But to me it sounds more like the compressor wasn't actually running if the fans were still running and the unit was warming up. But I'm not there to know that for sure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also: rather than just push the off button, I did unplug the appliance before I replaced the board. I'll pull it out from the wall and watch/listen to the compressor.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK that shouldn't matter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tyler --When I had replaced the main control board, one of the contact plugs was not seated fully -- so when I did so, the freezer came back on. :-)Unfortunately, I replaced the second main control board (the one over the freezer) this afternoon and it did not fix the problem. :-( Next?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure where to tell you to go next so I'm going to opt out since I don't know of anything else that would cause these symptoms. I'm sorry but I wish you the best.