Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Kenmore side by side bottom freezer refrigerator, buttons on

Customer Question
control panel are not responsive...
Kenmore side by side bottom freezer refrigerator, buttons on control panel are not responsive and fridge beeps every 10 minutes. Model 596.76589501
I have replaced main control board and user interface board.
Refrigerator works fine besides that, temp setting remain at default, 00/38 degrees and no buttons work
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
10/14/2015
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 2 years ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

Check the interface cable connector at the door hinge on the top of the unit, often the wire breaks or there is a plug issue there causing that issue.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

I am not home now but will check wire in about 10 hours and get back to you. Please send me any other items I should check out and troubleshoot. I do have a multimeter and some rechnical ability. Thanks, donny
Just thought about it and my unit has the UI panel inside the main box and not in the door, I do not believe there are any wiring inside the door. Where would I find and how should I access the cable connector you are referring to? The cable connector that attaches to the UI board appear sound and not damaged. I can send you images later if you want.

I just doubled check your model, yes yours does run through the wall liner, can you test the wiring between the two boards for a bad wire. Also what was the original issue?

I will check each wire for continuity. Sounds like a long shot but maybe. I have looked at connections on both ends and they appear to be in good shape.Issue is none of the buttons respond on the touch board. this board plugs into the UI beard located directly behind it. The display appears to correctly show the freezer and fresh food compartment temp (00 and 38 when fridge is left closed, these are the recommended and I believe the defaults) I can not get any response from any of the buttons... I can not get into the programming mode or adjust temp or set other parameters, etc. The fridge also will beep once, this happens every 10-15 minutes. Similar beep to the door alarm but less frequently. Other than that it works perfectly, ice maker works, cooling, defrost, etc. all working great.I have replaced the main board in the back with a refurb one, I was not able to reprogram for my model number due to interface issue so I put old board back in but it seemed to be fine. I replaced the UI board with a refurb one and there was no change to the functions. My next guess is the overlay board, part #67005416. The ones I have found online have a few more buttons than mine, not sure if they will work but sears guarantees it will fit my model #. They have been wrong before.

Yes the touchpad was what I thought you had changed that is what is bad causing the button issue for sure. Just replace the touchpad and it will work fine again.

the proper number for my overlay board is 67006603 which is a discontinued part and per sears and appliancepartspros not available nor has a suitable substitution part.I have not been satisfied with your service and I plan to ask for a refund per the advertised justanswers guarantee. I will do this tomorrow morning to give you time to respond as you request in your intro.feedback:1. know the model and parts as well as problem before offering advice, I provided all the information initially and you had to ask again as well as not being familiar with the model of appliance.2. do not offer advice unless you are sure you know what you are talking about. My opinion is you did not tell me anything I didn't know already and you did not give the impression you were an expert in refrigerator repair.

I guess we were not on the same page at all you were doing your own research listing stuff that I thought you kinda knew, but that is where I made a critical mistake. It is hard to pick up and interpret what you have parts changed or done without part numbers original issue etc... I answer a ton of questions and actually repair them for a living, I would have given you a supplier for the part as I did find it, but you are are not happy anyways so take care and good luck with the unit. Yes submit this for a refund that is not a problem

I understand your response and agree the communication was not clear. I gave critical feedback to be straight forward and didn't intend to be mean spirited.I am waiting on several parts suppliers to track down a part in old inventory. If you give me a supplier with the part I would consider that value and worth the just answer fee. Please send supplier info and I will leave a rating so that you can get paid.
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician