kingmz
kingmz, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Over 10,000 home appliance repairs, manages and runs my own company.
64161474

I have a Kitchenaid refirg. KSSP48QTS00. the unit light and

Customer Question

I have a Kitchenaid refirg. KSSP48QTS00. the unit light and controls are working however the freezer and refrigerator are not cooling. I believe the thermisters are ok because the display on the control pannel shows the temp and will change if I put my
hand on them. I ran the Diags and everything is returning "00" not "01 - 03". Any Ideas on what is the problem? I was working with a Tech named Woody but he is not responding. Is there someone else that can help me? I replaced the control board but have the
exact same problem.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** will be helping you today. Turn the temperature controls to highest settings on both sides and I want you to pull the refrigerator out from the wall so you access the rear panel. Take off the back panel and locate the compressor (big black round ball) do you hear it running or feel it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a build in unit. compressor is on top. Condenser fan and compressor are not running.
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

Okay, so then everything is on top. So you have no compressor or condenser fan running. Is the evap fan running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
evap fan?
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

The fan located inside the freezer.

Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

You may have to hold down the door switch to listen for it. You can also hear it with it closed but have to listen closely.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No fan running in the Freezer. door open or with the button pushed
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

Okay that means youre not getting a signal to start the compressor. You replaced W10789107 which is the main PCB correct. Have you checked the inverter board? This is what it looks like, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/b121p4/Kitchenaid-Refrigerator-Inverter-Board/W10629033/2997771?modelNumber=KSSP48QTS00&ss=a4b121c13d881163&mr=1

Inspect that to make sure youre getting 120 volts into it. If youre getting 120 volts into that board then its not sending power back out to the compressor. If youre not getting power than more than likely the temperature control needs to be replaced.

Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

Part number for the temperature control is W10468941

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see 120v into the the inverter board.
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

Bad inverter board then

Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

I'd return that other part as well if you can

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I still dont understand why all the diags are giving "00" instead of 01,02 or 03.
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

I may have misunderstood you. Is that what is showing now or was that only when you put it through diagnostics

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is what it shows when I put it through the diagnostics. when I get to test 6 it should turn on the condenser fan but it does not. Also the other diags 01and 02 and o5 and 07 should show a status of 01, 02 or 03 but I only get "00".
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

From what I understand you cannot run a full diagnostic if the compressor, cond fan and evap fan arent running. Give me one second I may have found something

Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

What year was this unit made?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
looks like 04-07
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

Now are you 100% the model number is *****? If so, then 99% chance that inverter board is the culprit. Confirm thats the model number and if it is you can try one thing that is a long shot but may be the issue. Take the back wall of your freezer and locate the bi-metal, it will look like this

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/b121p4/Kitchenaid-Refrigerator-Defrost-Thermostat/W10225581/1872722?modelNumber=KSSP48QTS00&ss=a4b121d881163-x74696d6572&mr=1

Since that part isn't frozen you will have to get a cup of ice water, make sure ice is filled to the top and put that bi-metal inside the cup of water and check it for continuity. If you know how to splice wires, splice the two wires going to that part and connect them together. Make sure to power off the unit before doing so. If you splice the wires make sure to leave room so you can reconnect the wires if that isnt the issue. If you get continuity or if you splice them and it still doesnt work, that inverter board has to be whats wrong.

Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

YOu will have to wait for the bi-metal to freeze, so wait about 10 minutes or so with it fully emerged inside the cup

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Man I dont want to pull out the unit..... also before it quit I could here it start and stop over and over. every timer it did this it would chirp from the alarm speaker.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I verified KSSP48QTS00 is the correct Model number.
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

The alarm is telling you the unit isnt cooling properly and welcome to my world ha. Its highly unlikely that bi-metal is bad. I found the wiring diagram for your unit and it appears that since you already replaced the main PCB, the only other thing is the inverter board becasue all wires from the inverter board go directly to that main pcb you already replaced. That means the inverter board isnt sending power to the compressor and fans and such. I would try that bi-metal though since its a $20 part and the inverter board is like 300

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the diags will not run correctly if the compressor is not running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I attached a scan of the diag sheet.to my last message
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I look at the diags it seems it should give responses even if the compressor is off as test "05" is for the compressor
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

A wiring diagram would help me out a lot more, do you ahve that as well? TO make sure it matches up with what I have.

Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

And if that inverter board isnt sending the proper voltage to the compressor, it will not turn on with the diagnostics.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have diagrams. I will scan them. give me just a minute.
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

okay thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is the Service and Wiring sheet. Page two and three are really one page but too large to scan at one time.Also sent main control board and ICC control board service sheet.have to rescan ..to large for this media .
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

I dont see it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Files were too large.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
file number 2
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get them?
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

Yes, its the exact wiring diagram I have. You can trace the wires yourself, trace the wires from the evap fan the cond fan and the compressor. Unless that board you got is bad, the issue is the inverter board.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But when I look at the diagram I don't see why the thermistor tests would fail and return "00" if the inverter board is bad.
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

You rarely ever get that specific information. I have yet to find anything, I even have the complete service manual for this unit that specifies why thats happening. I have ran into basically this exact issue and the inverter board fixed the problem.

Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

That doesnt specify why its happening*

Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

If i was working on this unit, Id jump out that t-stat and if that didnt work I'd replace the inverter board.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks!
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome, good luck. If I have answered your question please rate the answer. Its important to note that we can chat even after you have accepted the answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on the diagram it shows the Bi-Metal and a test term. can I use this instead of pulling it off? If so how do I do this.
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

That bi metal needs to be frozen for it to work. It will not complete the circuit unless its frzoen. The diag cannot freeze that part.

Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

I think that diag will only show you if the bi-metal is open or closed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got that but on the wiring diagram bottom left hand of the page it shows the ohms. at above 53 degrees F it should show open. And since the freezer is at 60+ degrees it should show open and is most likely ok. correct?Also is the inverter just a step up transformer? if so it should be putting out 230v correct. I can test this also correct?
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

Open=bad, you want it closed. Closed means it can complete the circuit. Thats why I told you to splice the wires you are essentially cutting out that part from the equation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well if the freezer was below 53 and the Bi-Metal was open that would be bad. according to the wiring diagram I sent you it says above 53 it should be open.I am going to ohm out the compressor and check to see if the inverter is working.
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

Ohm the compressor wont do you any good, unless you want to check to see if the compressor would function when fixed. If you had a bad compressor youre fans would still be working. And yes if the bi-metal was staying open even when its freezing then that part would be bad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Looks like I will need to change the inverter.
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

If you really want to check everything, start tracing wires but you will need a meter to check power at various places.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
started looking closer at the inverter. 120v is always present but I am not getting a signal from the control board to pick the relay in the inverter assembly. When I measure the voltage on the line it is 0.0v Red and Red w/white stripe. So I am back to the control board not sending the signal. I think it is unlikely that I would have two control boards fail the exact same way. I know it is not impossible but unlikely. I believe there has to be something else wrong.
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

I would assume the new board wouldn't be bad and I went on my diagnostics based on that. good catch though