Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Our whirpool washing machine stopped in the spin cycle

Customer Question

Our whirpool washing machine stopped in the spin cycle because the clothes were not
balanced. Now I cannot get the machine to turn back on The start button comes on then goes off
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So I just want to start by saying if I was in your house, I'd go through diagnostics and see what error code you're getting, but I've tried to explain how to do this to many people and for some reason they just can't get the sequence to work. So by far, the most likely thing that will cause this issue is your actuator failing so that is the part I would replay if you can't pull up the error code. If you can't pull up the error code, I would say to just replace the actuator below the tub because it's by far the most common part that fails when the unit goes out of balance. Below is a link to a video that shows you how to replace the part as well as a link to the part.

CLICK HERE for part and video at bottom of link

Now, if you wanted to give it a shot and see if you can pull up an error code, here is the sequence you'll need to go through to display the error code.

1. Be sure the washer is in standby mode (plugged in with all indicators off). (press and hold the start/cancel button for 3 seconds to turn everything off)

2. Perform the following sequence of movement using the cycle selector knob. NOTE: AFTER RESET, sequence “a” through “e” must be completed within 6 seconds.

RESET - Rotate cycle selector knob counterclockwise to clear sequence.

a. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one click and wait 1/2 second.

b. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

c. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

d. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

e. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

f. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

Now you are in diagnostics. Turn the knob until just the "DONE" LED is illuminated. Push START.

Now turn the dial one click and now the error code is displayed in the form of LEDs along the progress line. Just note which lights appear and let me know and I can tell you what error you're getting. There will be 2 sets of lights that appear and I need both sets to know what error you're getting.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I turned the circuit breaker of and the machine started workind
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Awesome. Sometimes the board just needs to be reset which is why I say to unplug the unit in the beginning if you can't pull up the error code.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?