Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

Water only flows into the ice maker when I press the water

Customer Question

Water only flows into the ice maker when I press the water dispenser lever. The icemaker is completely new. What could be the problem
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So to be clear, water comes into the icemaker when you push the water dispenser lever? Water does not come out the dispenser like it's supposed to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ice maker does not produce any ice. However the water that flowed into the ice maker has frozen. No ice cubes are dispensed into the ice holder. The refrigerator side is cooling well. The display screen on the front shows an error message. The ice type signs are blink intermittently. There is the S) sign blinking too.
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

What error is showing on the screen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. You directed me to another technician. He has not responded yet.
Zak.

What error is showing on the screen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried to clear the error codes by unplugging the unit for 30 seconds and plugging it back in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have cleared the errors as recommended. However water dispenser now operates automatically now and again. I have to close the main water supply to the appliance.

You may have a smart valve issue. Can you double check the model number the one listed does not come up valid

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have replaced the water inlet valve with a new one.
The optics are working well
The whole ice maker unit is new. The Main PC board is new.
The freezer is working well.
Whirlpool FRSS36AF25/3 SERVICE NUMBER 8586 168 11000 11 0645 010733 220-240V 50Hz 615W IM 185W
Water still not getting into the ice maker to make ice. The water dispenser still releases water spontaneously and unexpectedly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is the manual of the appliance downloaded from whirlpool website
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I was sitting in the kitchen I heard the ice maker drop ice cubes into the ice holder. A fe moments later a jet of water came through the water dispenser nozzle. I put my hand in the ice maker to se if there was water. It was dry. It seems water is misdirected. This was happening even before I changed the smart valve. I the a short circuit somewhere in the electrical circuit? Is there a switch that is malfunctioning?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I opened the freezer door and depressed the water dispenser lever whilst at he same time holding onto the switch on the top of the the door. Water definitely fill up the ice maker. I will see in about 2 hours whether this ice will be dispensed into the holder behind the door.

This sounds like the wires at the valve are reversed. If you pressed the water dispenser and got water into the icemaker the valve wires would be switched causing that issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sure the wires were inserted properly in the smart valve because the terminals for the dispenser and ice maker are not the same size. As I am typing, the ice is being harvested, followed by a gush of water out of the water dispenser and the ice maker is full of water. This will probably happen throughout the night. This means my kitchen will be flooded in the morning. I think you have to dig deeper into your experience. Good luck.

Doube check the model it does not come up valid anywhere.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. The appliance is still not working. Now the filter says it is at 1%. This is not possible because this filter is only a week old. Still the ice maker gets water only when I depress the water dispenser. It does harvest therafter.

Can you get me the complete model number the one listed does not come up anywhere for lookups

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here in the model numberWhirlpool FRSS36AF25/3(858616815020)

I see the issue this is not a US model unit, even though it is the same as one of them I have no lookups for it. Let me see if someone else can help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I am in South Africa
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Afternoon. I have not heard anything from you so far. My problem has not been solved. As I am typing water still flows automatically through the water dispenser. The ice maker will only make ice and harvest it if I fill it manually with water.
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dave. There are two solenoids on the water valve. One for the ice maker and one for water to the dispenser. Can you pull off the connectors and reverse them? On the US models they are different size terminals but it sounds like yours are the same. Let me know if you can switch them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dave. The connectors on my fridge are not the same size. The two solenoids have small and large terminals. The only way I can reverse them is on each solenoid. I will do so and let you know

Okay, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also note that the filter says 1%. However this filter is new. I replaced it this month. Is this normal?

Did you do a reset when you replaced the filter? I think you need to hold the filter reset button for 3 seconds.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The filter was reset. Thank you. However the only way I could let water into the ice maker was to open the freezer door, depress and hold the water dispenser lever continuously and hold the door switch in the freezer in front of the ice maker, that is I operated the fridge as if the door was closed. This produced an error message on the screen that looks like this: S). The ice icon blinks alternately between the crashed mode and blocks mode.

I have never seen this on a US model but it sounds like something in the wiring. Some models have diodes in the harness to prevent both valves from powering at the same time. If the diode shorts it could fill on both valves. Since it only fill on one valve but the wrong valve that is why I suggested switching the wires.