Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Jenn Air electric oven model WM27260, the oven was

Customer Question
working when it shut off...
I have a Jenn Air electric oven model WM27260, the oven was working when it shut off, no power, I checked the main breaker and it was on, I turned on the manual light switch and the oven started working but when I closed the door it lost all power again but when I opened the door and turned on the light switch it powered up again until I closed the door.What is my fix?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
10/9/2015
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 2 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

The problem is that your display board has either shorted somewhat, or your oven is only getting 110 volts instead of 220 volts. You'll need to try to flip the breaker off and back on to see if the issue will reset. If not then you need to pull the oven forward and follow the power cord connected to the back of the oven. Test power between the 2 outer power wires on the power cord and you should have 220 volts. If not, try to check the power cord or outlet or call an electrician. If you have 220 volts, you need to replace the display board.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

The display board lights up normal and the oven powers up normally when the manual light switch is on and the door is open but when you close the door everything goes blank.

Yes, but I'll bet the oven does not heat up like "normal" when you switch it on. That is because it's not getting 220 volts or the display board is bad. May answer is still the same and it's 100% accurate.

The oven starts to heat up, but I can't leave the door open

OK then if it does heat up you've narrowed the problem down to just the control board. Because the elements can't heat and get orange without 220 volts. The fact they heat up means your oven is getting 220 volts. So you'll need to replace the control board.

Is that a guarantee that a new board will fix it? I replaced the board about 5 years ago.

there is no way we can guarantee anything. But if you buy the part from a place like Repairclinic.com they have a policy that allows returns on parts.

Why would the door switch shut all the power off. Do they let you return electrical parts?

Yes they do allow you to return electrical parts. And again, the door switch is completing a circuit in the board which is shorted from the normal power inputs on the board. Boards can fail in hundreds of different ways, this is just one of the somewhat more unique ways that it has failed.

What if I disconnected the door switch and it worked ok.

Then your board is still bad or the oven really isn't getting 220 volts and heating as you say it is. You can try to do anything you want---my answer will not change.

What is the door switch for?

To tell the control board your door is shut.

The oven will still heat even if the door is open normally

Yes, you said that. I'm not sure why we are going in circles.

I am trying to get a fix before I start replacing parts.

The fix is replacing the control board. As I stated before---nothing you say or nothing I say will change that. The fix is the same.

Why does the control want to know if the door is shut if the oven still heats with it open?

It needs it for an input for when it self cleans.

Thanks that is what I wanted to know

ok good luck

I will probably need it

ok

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc