Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Amana refrigerator is not cooling, and freezer is

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****. Amana refrigerator is not cooling, and freezer is over-cooling with frost
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We got the refrigerator about a month ago from my parents, working fine until about a week ago
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.

Can you tell me where you're seeing the frost inside the freezer? Is it everywhere? Or just on the back wall? or??

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
frost everywhere in the freezer
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.

OK, so it sounds like it's trying to cool but it's just cooling too much. You'll want to go up into the refrigerator section and remove that back vent under the ceiling against the back wall. Remove that vent cover and look at the flap which opens and closes. This is called the "damper". Is the flap open or closed?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the damper appears to be open
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
but no air flow coming out of it
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.

OK so it should be blowing air into the refrigerator which means that you have one of two issues. This means that you either have a defrost problem or the fan inside the freezer behind the back panel isn't running and needs to be replaced. Pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel. If the fan isn't running then replace it. If there is a lot of frost build up, then use a hair dryer to thaw it all out. You will then need to test continuity through the defrost heater and defrost thermostat. The defrost heater runs along the bottom of the silver coils and the defrost thermostat is the 1" round device clipped onto the top of the silver coils. If either part doesn't have continuity, you need to replace it or it stops the unit from thawing on it's own. Now on the off chance that both parts DO have continuity through them, you would need to replace the display board in the refrigerator because that is the part that controls the defrost function for the freezer.

To remove the back panel itself, just remove all the screws going into the back panel to start. There is a plastic vent directly in the middle toward the top of the back panel that you must unclip. There are 3 hidden clips you must pry on with a flat head screwdriver to release this vent panel and below is a picture where I drew an arrow to all the clip locations you need to pry on.

To the right of this vent is a little oval plastic cover which houses a temperature sensor. Slide a flat head screwdriver into the slit on the front of the cover and pry in the hole to release this cover and get the sensor out of the way. Now you can pull the back panel off.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.