Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a G.E. side by side refrig with ice and water on

Customer Question

I have a G.E. side by side refrig with ice and water on door. Water smells like mold when first goes in cup. Refill and don't smell (unless immune to smell)!! Replaced filter...still smells...what is it???
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

Do you use the water a lot? or does it sit often without being used?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I use it everyday

OK and it just stinks on the first fill?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pour that out and fill it again and I don't smell it the next time I don't think, as I said...unless I am immune to the smell!!!

Well the only thing that can build some mold is the water tank, you may want to replace that and give it a try. It is located behind the crisper drawers in the refrigerator section and is not hard to change out. Here is a link to the part for you.

CLICK HERE

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have taken the cover off and the assembly looks clear, no signs of discoloration.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there??? I need 2 move off of this site!!! Pls answer my last question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I am off after midnight and back on at 930am, if there is no discoloration or anything then the unit is not causing the smell and it is just a water issue to the unit. There is really nothing else that can cause that issue.

I see this question is still open if there was nothing more I can do for you please just use the star rating system to rate my service 3 stars or higher thank you.