Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a Scotsman CM250 water cooled ice maker. WE got it

Customer Question

I have a Scotsman CM250 water cooled ice maker. WE got it for our house when a restaurant closed. It was manufactured in 1987 and we were enjoying 6 years of great ice. Ice production would be lower when the garage get hot in the summer months but it still made ice. Then this July, it just couldn't.
The ice maker was doing fine until our neighbor came over to clean out our ice bin for ice for their son's wedding. Since then, there's only water in the bin and dripping from the evaporator. I checked the timer cycle and it's cycling normally. The freon gets frosty when in making cycle and condenses when in harvest cycle. I would feel the evaporator and there's no slick ice on it at any time now. The water in the reservoir has been monitored to ensure that it's cold enough. It would get as cold as 34 to 35 degrees but it still fails to make ice. At most, we would see a few melting flakes at the bottom of the bin but nothing like before when we used to enjoy a mountain of ice in the bin.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

So is it harvesting on its own? If so how long is it running between the harvest cycles?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the timer is working and it's harvesting on it's own. Last night, I just tried a few adjustments without success. All I can get are thin flakes of ice. They need to be thicker and contour in shape. Nothing else has changed. 2 hours last night, I have been adjusting the cube size knob 1/8 to 1/4 turn toward colder but it fails to produce ice that will stay in the bin.The ambient temperature around the machine last night was around 70 degrees. I used my laser thermometer to monitor the water temperature in the sump and on the evaporator. The coldest temp recorded on the evaporator during the freeze was 34 degrees. The frosty pipe above the evaporator would record 25-26 degrees. The coldest temperature in the sump during freeze period registered around 40-41 and at the end of the harvest, the water temp in the sump would register 49-51 degrees.Could it mean that I need recharge? Is the freeze too weak?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P.S. - even with the ice cube knob toward very cold (largest size), it still produce very thin flaky ice that melts away. Another note is that on the bottom and top of the evaporator during freeze, I feel ice developing. But in the center of the plate, there's literally no ice developing there.

This sounds like you have a unit that is low on freon. I think you are out of gas. You need to put some gauges on it and check the pressures in the system, if you are running in the vacuum that is the issue.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

I see this question is still open if there was nothing more I can do for you please just use the star rating system to rate my service 3 stars or higher thank you.