Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a GE under-counter microwave, model #PEM31SM3SS. It

Customer Question

I have a GE under-counter microwave, model #PEM31SM3SS. It works OK, except when I close the door the fan and light stay on. Clear/off shuts off the microwave, but the fan and light are still on when I close the door. Opening the door shuts them off.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So this issue means that your microwave thinks that 1 of your door switches has failed. There are 3 switches to the left of the control panel behind the front frame and when one of them is acting up, you get the condition you're describing. Now the microwave will need to be completely un-installed and all the screws removed from the outer shell of the microwave. The outer shell will then pull straight back, up, and off. Some of the screws will require a size T-20 safety torx bit (the star shaped ones). Either way, if you plan to try to fix this yourself, you'd need to remove the outer shell and then remove the control panel and now you have access to the door switch mount so you can either just replace one switch at a time until you fix the issue, or if you have a multimeter you can test the switches and determine which one is faulty and just replace that faulty switch. The first 2 switch in the link below are the door switches you're looking for.

CLICK HERE for parts

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds way too complicated for me to try on my own. If I need to call a repair person, then I don't need this service.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

That's possible. But I will also say that calling a repairman will cost about $175-200 with trip and labor to fix this issue so depending on your situation it may just be best to buy a new microwave. At least now you have the information needed to make that decision even if you can't fix it yourself.