Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My KitchenAid W10303989A ice maker bin turns into a solid

Customer Question
block of non-ejectable ice. I've removed...
My KitchenAid W10303989A ice maker bin turns into a solid block of non-ejectable ice.
I've removed and cleaned thoroughly, but it continues to fill up and the cubes freeze together.
Any thoughts??
Joe
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
10/3/2015
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! I suspect you may have a leaking water inlet valve that is overfilling the ice maker.

May I please have your model number from the tag on the refrigerator so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

It is a model KSSC48QVS02.
SER. S20300067
I'm pretty handy, is there a way to fix this leaky valve?
The block of ice is also making it impossible to remove the bin from the door. I suspect I simply need to use a hairdryer to loosen the frozen bond at the bottom of the bin where it rest inside the door.Thanks,
Joe

Well, the valve itself will need to be replaced. It is mounted under the cabinet, accessed by removing the panel below the doors.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

CLICK HERE

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

How would a valve at the bottom of the cabinet be leaking into the bin?
Where do you suspect the water is getting into the bin specifically?
As a note, the unit continues to make good looking ice. There is usually just a thin layer ( 12 cubes) of usable ice atop the iceberg below it.

The water leaks through the diaphragm in the valve and into the tube that leads to the ice maker.

Do the cubes seem to be normal size when they come out of the ice maker? Can you see an ice trail from anywhere that leads to the ice bin?

The cubes are of normal size and look. They are not wet. There is no visible ice-trail into the bin.

So the water has to be leaking from the ice maker or there would be a trail. I would replace the valve.

I've blocked the shutoff arm with the door open, so the sensor believes the door is shut.
If I watch the unit make ice, should I see this water leak as the ice flows into where the bin should be?

You may be able to but it will only go into a harvest to fill for about 10 seconds or less every couple hours....

Does the valve flow into a line that runs up to the ice maker unit? Is it possible that there is a leak where that line comes into the unit, somewhere near the upper opening of the ice bin?Otherwise, I just don't see how water is getting into the bin. Can water enter from any other place on the bin?

The only way water can get into the bin is from above the bin. If you see no ice trail, it has to be dripping down from the ice maker. The plastic line is solid from the valve to the ice maker, so you would see evidence if it leaked before the ice maker.

with that information, I don't see how the valve would effect a leak at the top of the cabinet where the upper opening of the ice bin is located. I continue to watch the ice maker unit, with the sensor light constant red,(believing the door is closed) I don't see any water dripping from anything around or from the ice maker unit. I'm waiting for it to make ice, so I can see if a little bit of excess water accompanies the fresh cubes as they are dispensed.
Any thoughts about that strategy?
Kelly, Appliance Technician