Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a viking stove and the spindle that holds the stove

Customer Question

I have a viking stove and the spindle that holds the stove knob has broken off again, so I need to replace it. I am looking for someone to walk me through this. I also have a viking microwave that starts, but the heating element in it (wrong word, but
it doesn't heat the food) doesn't start. Anyone have any experience with this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! I can help you with the stove issue. What is the control for and may I please have the model number of the range? As for the microwave, the magnetron is likely faulty if it is not heating but sounds the same as it always has when it was working. Please let me know on the model numbers.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The model for the stove is VGCC536-4G. It has 4 burners and a griddle.
The model for the microwave is VMOC205SS. About the microwave, I think you are right. Last year it wouldn't turn on, but we fixed that. Now it turns on, but it doesn't heat. This problem developed over time. I didn't have any problems with it, but my daughter said she did. (which means it's worked sometimes). Now it never heats. I don't know if that was important, but I felt I needed to differentiate it from it's earlier problem. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.

The page from the service manual shows how to access that control for replacement. If you are not familiar with microwave servicing, you may want to call for service on the magnetron replacement. That is a high voltage component and there is a danger present, even while unplugged!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am confused. Don't I need a part number and some idea of how to replace the component? The information you gave me tells me how to open the front. I have had this piece replaced three previous times and it's about 18 inches long and winds through some things inside. It is not isolated to just taking off the front piece.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.

What control is it that has broken? Can you upload a picture so I have some idea? Your post indicates "stove knob" which I took to mean one of the burner controls.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I said "the spindle that holds the stove knob has broken off". The spindle is part of the 18 or so inch long piece that needs to be replaced. Would it be possible to have the part number and instructions for how to fix this?