Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Trash Compactor stuck in the down position

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here, I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing,researching and adding links takes me time to do so. Please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get you an accurate diagnosis.

Does the motor make any noise at all?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the motor moves in both directions and i can rotate the bottom gear in both directions. However i cannot free up the ram.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is an early 80's kitchen aid trash compactor

OK the scissors type of mech?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
two large screws on both sides bring the ram up and down

OK can you remove the bottom plate

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the bottom plate is removed and the gears can be rotated in both directions
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the ram is alittle cocked to one side.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried turning the gear counter clock wise to free the ram up but its not working

Ok can you remove the chain?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Possibly, does it come off like a bike chain?

Yes but have you remove the top to see if something is stuck above the ram.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
here is a picture of the gears
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Top clear. Picture attached

Yes remove the top and check for anything jammed

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The top is clear of any obstructions.

Ok does the motor hum or do anything? If not try to start it and hit the reverse switch on the top of the unit where the ram would hit it while trying to start it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
These two nuts that were attached to the ram screws (Whirlpool 777533 Nut Power Trash Compactor) were stripped and spinning. After i removed them, i was able to remove the Ram mechanism. Parts are on order.

Yes that happens a lot were you able to get it going then when pushing that ram switch right? If so sounds like you will get this fixed.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

I noticed this question was still open, if there was nothing else I could help you with all I ask is please rate my service 3 stars or higher using the star rating system thanks!