Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Model 790 electric stove the heating units do not heat up

Customer Question

model 790 electric stove the heating units do not heat up while the element light is on.
the cook top light does not light up when pressed but does turn on the oven light
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

The only thing that will cut off heat to both the oven and the cooktop is if your oven is not getting 220 volts. It's apparently still getting 110 volts since the lights are working, but it's not getting 220 volts. The first thing to try is to flip the circuit breaker off for 60 seconds and back on. If that doesn't change anything the entire unit would need to be pulled out and the back sheet metal panel removed to access the junction block on the back of the oven. With a multimeter you need to test power between the 2 outside power wires coming from the power cord right were it connects to the junction block. If you have 220 volts between these 2 wires, then you need follow the wires behind the junction block because one of them is burnt or broken.

If you're not getting 220 volts to the junction block, then either your power cord has failed, or the outlet on the house, or possibly the circuit breaker on your house or the wiring in between. But you may need an electrician for these issues.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?