Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

We think either oven cleaner or water got into our l980

Customer Question

we think either oven cleaner or water got into our l980 range with built in micro oen in bottom and everything orks, but micro..the timer worrks but all we get is a funny odor....please help two old citizens
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue so do not rate me until we are done thanks.

Does the unit work fine other than the smell?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
everything works except the microwave IN THE OVEN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no-the micro=wave function doesn't work--it sounds like the fan dos but it smells like something is burning
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The odor is likely the high voltage transformer windings burning. There are no parts available for these older units with the oven/micro combo and even fewer techs that will work on them. You will likely need to just use a counter top microwave and just not use the one that is in the oven.