Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

My Samsung fridge rf263afrs has started acting in a weird

Customer Question

Hi my Samsung fridge rf263afrs has started acting in a weird way.
A couple of days ago, I woke up in the morning and I noticed that food in the fridge was very warm. Then I placed my hand on the inner walls of the fridge and they were warm as well. Then I checked the lower compartment i.e. freezer which was better than the upper portion but was not cold like it used to be. Also I saw some frost in the freezer. Also I noticed that the referigerator temperature display was blinking.
As I am not a technical guy at all, i called one of my friends who advised me to unplug the unit for half an hour and then replug that again. I did the same and waited for few hours and it was working fine.
So I was happy that the problem was solved. But today, same thing happened again. After doing the same procedure it is working fine.
But this is not the solution. Both time, a lot of my grocceries got bad and fridge is not reliable any more. I cannot trust it.
Can you tell me what to do keeping in
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue so do not rate me until we are done thanks.

Can you see if the compressor fan is running behind the unit next to the compressor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Back side of the fridge is fully closed except two small square windows (I don't know what else I can call them). I can hear noise of a fan and air coming out of one bigger square window. It may or may not be the fan u are asking about!

Slide the unit out and remove the lower back panel behind the unit to see this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked it and I think it is working. Right now fridge is working fine.But it will stop doing cooling and freezing after a couple if days again. I will need to unplug it and replug it after 30 minutes, reset the fridge section to 1 degree centigrade and freezer section to -22 degree centigrade to make it working again (Pl note that samsung recommended temperature is 3 degrees and -19 degrees instead and I had been using these temperatures since I bought this refrigerator). After fridge starts working fine, I will change both the temperatures back to Samsung recommended temperatures.And it will stop doing cooling and freezing again after a few days. And I will need to repeat the same process again.

When it stops and you have to reset it that is often caused by a defrost circuit failure. If you have a bad heater or bad thermal fuse for the heater circuit that can cause that issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then what am I supposed to do now?

You would have to test and check the heater circuit with an ohm meter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't tested the heater as u advised as I don't have ohm meter (still trying to find it) however I have made and uploaded a video just now. (The refrigerator again stopped working and I have again unplugged it and replugged it after ten minutes. One thing I want to tell u that after replugging it, compressor fan has not started moving right away. It will start moving after some time probably few hours).

You may have a control board issue as since the issue is sporadic and the condenser fan is not coming on right away either. I would maybe change the board out at this point.

We are on the honor system for our work, so please use the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which control board u are talking about? Did u watch the video I sent u? Compressor fan started moving after a few minutes, not after few hours.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am still waiting for a reply.