Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have an aged Kenmore Elite Microwave that is heating but

Customer Question

Hello: I have an aged Kenmore Elite Microwave that is heating but seems to be stuck in a 50% mode since I used that setting last week briefly. Is this fixable?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a model number so I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker just inside the door way and can be seen if you open the door.

Also, how do you know it's stuck on 50%? Does it say 50%? or does it just seem like it's cooking too slow?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model is 721 63664300. It doesn't say 50% but it heats but not fully. I found that I have to heat food 2 to 4 times in one setting.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK you'll need to listen closely to see what is wrong. Put a glass of water in the microwave and turn it on for 2 minutes. Listen to see if there is a humming noise that cuts out and in ever 15-30 seconds or so. If so, then something is going on with your control board and it definitely is stuck at 50% so try to unplug the microwave for 5 minutes and see if the electronics will reset. If that doesn't work then the control board would just need to be replaced.

If the humming is consistent and never stops and starts every 15-30 seconds, then you just have a magnetron that is getting weak and the magnetron inside the microwave will need to be replaced.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Performed water test and water heated a bit but not near what it is supposed to be. Have unplugged unit and am going to the store and leave unplugged for a while. Will repeat test when return. Thanks for help.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK. Please understand I'm not debating on whether it's heating enough or not. I'm not there to believe any different. So I'm only telling you what to look for and what to do to fix the issue assuming that it's not heating as intended.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?